More on LEDs: some numbers

But here, this is adequately compensated for by the presence of SWMBO and assorted offspring.

Reply to
Lobster

You don't beat them nearly enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old CFL from 1990s seem to have a noticeably longer life than their rec ent counterparts, I suspect recent LED may too suffer from variable quality and are not cheap.

For stairs I am a bit surprised for a DIY group that no-one has suggested f itting either a "background" 3W LED bulb or sticking the lights on a PIR. I ndeed the positioning of hall light switches tends to be where the wire got cut (or dragged from around the apprentice's neck).

I too have a particularly :-) ghastly 3W ultra white LED spot, that will be come a "pool" light for the bottom of the stairs as a night light. The curs e of the blackout thermal curtains, dark carpet & dark furniture is an unco mfortable one... why? CFL take forever to come up to decent brightness in w inter. Sigh.

Reply to
js.b1

I'm a bit surprised for a DIY group that you don't move or install extra switches where you want them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about a movement detector?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Not sure they were around when I wired this house - and you'd need several to cover the area properly. Two of the switches are on the first floor. So why make things complicated for the sake of it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have fan heater on the wall that I adapted to include a 13 amp socket wi th a 1amp in-line fuse. The fan heater has a pull cord for bathroom use an d is above head height .The fan heaker is one of theose ~2kw hardwired, so no 3 pin plug on it. I assume this is OK as it was checked out by the LEB w hen they connected up the E7 storage heaters. I have to stand on a chair to reach the 13 amp socket I added.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I want gesture contol switches but haven't quite worked out how to do it yet.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Like that will give any shock protection. B-)

The precense of a 13 A socket in a bathroom is frowned on because it makes it easy for people to use portable appliances in there. Nice bit of fresh toast while having a long soak? Toaster balanced on edge of bath, boing splosh, zzzttt...

Donno if the regs completely ban 13 A sockets or only in specific zones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Easy, well if I want to use a protable appliances in there I find it easier to use an extention lead than get a chair from the front room and try to run the toaster or whatever from a 1 amp fused supply.

Anyway from memeory I think I found that provided it was 3 metresa away from zone 1 it was OK. But not quite sure how they measure it.

I've never eaten toast in the bath.

Anyway from memory I think I found that provided it was 3 metres away from zone 1 it was OK. But not quite sure how they measure it. I can't reach the socket from the bath or toilet unless I stand on the toilet.

of course kids could be a worry but as I haven't had any in my place since 1990 and don't plan on letting anyone under the drinking age through my door......

Reply to
whisky-dave