More on electrical work and regs.

In a previous posting, I asked a question about certifying electrical work. Specifically, I have replaced some lights and put a humidistat in the bathroom. I'm keen to get this added the the BW we already have and get the work certified.

I understand that an electrician would be unable to sign off someone else's wiring under Part P. Edinburgh BCO, however, are telling me that they cannot certify - it has to be done by an electrician. Does this really mean that (officially) I have to get an electrician in to undo my work, redo it (probably to a lower standard) and then certify it?

Is this intended to make it easier for DIYers to ensure their work complies? Does this make things safer?

More importantly, is Edinburgh Council correct and what can I do about it?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

Down here in Preston, Lancashire, a builder rewired my house and I had to pay £58.75 to the local council BCO, who then send out one of their own council electricians to do the testing and inspection.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

They are wrong and operating contrary to ODPM guidelines. They should inspect and certify at no extra cost other than the building notice. May be different because you're in Scotland though(?)

Alternatively do what I did and inspect and certify yourself. For the work you described, it would require a minor works certificate. Basicly just a bunch of boxes to tick and a couple of very simple tests. The forms are freely available on the IEE website somewhere but I can't find them right now.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

On 14 Mar 2006 04:27:49 -0800 someone who may be "Adam-the-Kiwi" wrote this:-

That depends on precisely what you and they are talking about.

In Scotland Part P of the Building Standards is about miscellaneous hazards

and not electric wiring.

In Scotland your lights and humidistat must be to the Wiring Regulations by law (it has been the law for a long time). If you are what the Wiring Regulations call a suitably qualified electrical engineer then you can inspect the work yourself, without being a member of one of the ridiculous English & Welsh money making schemes.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 14 Mar 2006 05:06:41 -0800 someone who may be "Tournifreak" wrote this:-

Fortunately John Prescott's writ stops along the line between Berwick and Carlisle and so he is not messing up things in Scotland at the moment. We have our own party politicians to do the messing up.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hi David,

Thanks for response.

It's probably my confusion of terms again.

I'm almost certainly not a "suitably qualified electrical engineer" - although the lady I spoke to at the NICEIC also indicated that I could certify my own work. If I am not and cannot, how can I get this work certified?

Thanks - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

On 14 Mar 2006 06:23:52 -0800 someone who may be "Adam-the-Kiwi" wrote this:-

If you do not feel able to take the responsibility for this work yourself then you need to find someone who is prepared to do so. This means a person who works in the field. Electricians may not be used to checking other people's work, but you should be able to find someone skilled in inspecting other people's work. A lot of such inspections are done. I'm sorry I have no means of helping you further, it is not something that arises for me.

Reply to
David Hansen

Sorry - still confused a bit...

I am happy to take responsibility for my work (I'm sure it's very good!) but I doubt anyone else would accept my word for its extremely high quality!

If, as you say, electricians may not be used how do I go about finding someone who can inspect the work and whose certification the BCO will accept?

Out of interest, why is it "not something that arises" for you? Are you able to certify your own work and if so, how does one get to that point?

My apologies if I'm completely missing the point. I had assumed (when I started putting the new lights in) that it would just be a question of getting an electrician in and paying a nominal fee for them to check everything over and then give me a certificate to confirm that nothing I had done was unsafe or in contravention of the regs. Nothing that I'm doing is especially difficult, I'm decreasing the overall load in the circuits I've touched and the only thing I can think of that might cause anyone to look again is the humidistat in the bathroom.

It's easy to see why people would consider doing work and not getting it certified when certification seems such a PITA.

Thanks again for your assistance, David...

Deeply frustrated - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

My mate wired in fan assisted radiator (cost £80) on a fused spur in his kitchen and is currently umming and arghing about the £69 council certificate fee and £100 for electrician to come out and check or instead £270 council inspection fee (they supply inspector). Hmmm, you know what his current thoughts are...................

Reply to
Ian_m

Aye, I expect we're on a similar wavelength at the moment. Still, at least we're all safer, eh?

Are you (or more specifically, your mate) in England, Ian?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

Aye, I expect we're on a similar wavelength at the moment. Still, at least we're all safer, eh?

Are you (or more specifically, your mate) in England, Ian?

England and Salisbury district council I think.

Reply to
Ian_m

Apparently less than 1% of diyers feel that way.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

================== In England you can apply to your local council for a 'Regularisation Certificate' after the work is completed. Ask your local council if such a procedure exists in Scotland.

In my case (in England) the local BCO appointed an independent electrician to do the inspection and issued the certificate on the basis of his inspection.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Edinburgh's in Scotland. Our regs are different.

In particular, if the wiring is not part of any notifiable work, do you actually need a building warrant for it in the first place? I don't think you do.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't think yours are fully upto standard when it comes to cocking up and I hate Scotland to feel deprived. We've been mean to our northern brothers for far too long. Can we send you some of ours to redress the balance? I suggest the fat one and the mad grinning one should be a fair advance. Plenty more available on request. 2 for 1 special offer next month!

I mean, you're just *not* British unless your parliament is run by knobweeds, are you?

;--D

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

l>east we're all safer, eh?

Spoke to him the other day and has been advised by an electrician that as the radiator was already there and the double socket was already there then this was just a replacement of existing spur/connection so therefore not under Part P.... Not too sure this counts in the kitchen though.

Reply to
Ian_m

Pay both, just to be on the safe side?

:)