More on electric cars.

Well done k*****ad. So I can pay 37K for a car the size of an Astra built like shit and then I can travel the same distance as the same size of car using the same fuel. But of course the driver with a conventional diesel is getting twice the mpg for half the capital expenditure.

You really are shit-for-brains thick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins. Have you got that yet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The UK is not the Sahara Desert. It is littered with fuel stations.

You are dangerous. 200 miles is far too long without a break. Tanks should be smaller.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Knob, not £37K and bigger than an Astra.

< snip senility >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

yes, I got that.

Have you got "From what sort of supply?" How much capacity have the batteries and what charging current is needed to get to 80% in 3 minutes.

My car battery is 150Ahr capacity. 80% capacity is 120Ahr. to provide that in 3 minutes (1/20th hour) at 12v a charging current of 2400 Amps is needed. With a 100% efficient charger a supply capacity of 120 Amps at mains voltage.

How many AmpereHours are needed for a car battery?

Reply to
charles

Fantastic. It took two goes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

no, it only took one. but you have snipped my question to you. Presumably because you can't answer it.

Reply to
charles

Completely pertinent comment. You're trying to tout 60mpg as something special when it is not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But all these concessions for electric vehicles would soon be withdrawn if there was significant use. The City of London withdrew its parking concessions for these cars when it realised that it was just incresing the congestion. Bankers being just the sort of people who can afford to have a spare car just for commuting.

Reply to
djc

Umbria to London, 1,000 miles 56mpg in a 2006 C2 1.1 petrol, two stops. And that was with baggage and 785 litres of wine aboard. I wouldn't be wanting to do that in a milk float.

Reply to
djc

And how do you actually rate that complexity? Unless there is a consistent way of doing so it is actually very difficult to identify which of two pretty complex machines is the more complex.

Reply to
polygonum

No it took two.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

For that size of car it is. And it is smooooooooth and quiet and emits far less crap into the air..

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

work on at least 25kWh for a little scootabout and 100kwh for a family saloon.

To charge 100kwh in 3 mins is 2MW. at 400V that's 5,000 amps.

nothing a bit of T & E cant handle. Not!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another senile person.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is clearly senile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is clearly senile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I somehow doubt that the Ampera will achieve anywhere near 60 mpg when running on its generator in real world driving conditions, Motor Mechanics magazine got a lot less in their trials.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Starts at £35k (Astra starts at 13k).

Astra has a 1216l hatchback, Ampera is 1000l.

No other interior dimensions on their website. Exteriors are near as dammit the same (Ampera is longer, but narrower)

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, you're right, it's the word "not".

Yes also true and for the same people who can't imagine that anyone would want to do anythign other than drive to work which is less than 12 miles away and then drive back. The fact that such a journey will

*never* recoup the extra they have had to pay for the car does not enter their minds. Also since they don't understand well to wheel the fact that the EV will emit more CO2 than a similar sied diesel car doesn't enter their heads.

Whenever EV makes say their cars will do the equivalent of 230 mpg for well to wheel CO2 emissions they are using the mix of electricity supplied in France (mostly nuclear and HEP) for their comparison. Move to the UK and that 230 mog collapses to 40 mpg because of our dirty generating mix. Move to the coal capital states of the USA or CHina and that figure gets even worse.

Reply to
Steve Firth