More on electric cars.

The South Africans do

Reply to
The Other Mike

If one painted out the route - with nice easy rail like curves and corners etc, how many people would you carry in similar length (or half length and double decker) electric road train?

Reply to
John Rumm

My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes- SASOL was making a lot of liquid fuel from coal when S Africa was under embargo.

But its not the most efficient process is the world.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not directly, no, and not any more IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trams are much more energy efficient. Less rolling friction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[snip]

No you couldn't.

You don't use your brain any day.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But more weight and infrastructure maintenance. Which respectively require more energy to accelerate, and generate CO2 emissions. And the extra congestion they cause makes other road users use more fuel. And they're less flexible in use. It would be much cheaper and more space efficient to use trolleybuses on a guided busway.

Trams are good where you have a *lot* of people to move in a steady stream along a dedicated track. Or is that a train?

Incidentally, the coach I'm driving today will be doing about 300 passenger miles/ gallon later, and did the same this morning,if you allow for the dead mileage. Our buses on stage carriage average about

200 passenger miles/ gallon if you take the whole day into account, slightly less for the hybrids.
Reply to
John Williamson

The busses I saw in London were doing about 3 passenger miles per gallon.

One passenger for every three busses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only time I've ever been on an empty bus is where I've got on one at the terminus. And not for long.

Of course 'they' can't win. Ask a motorist why he never uses buses on a journey suited to them and the inevitable answer is 'all that waiting around for one'. Followed by 'too crowded'. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That doesn't make either of them toxic. Didn't they teach you anything at school? I can drown in water, doesn't make it toxic.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It will runs out when it fails. As everything does.

Without the subsidies, not a good return on capital.

I understand what renewable means. You obviously have no understanding of economics.

Why would you want to generate your own electricity from a generator? No mains where you live?

If solar generation were cost effective every single new building would be fitted with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's utter and complete shit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only with poor quality petrol which isn't imported into this country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CO2 most definitely is toxic. (Not very toxic, you can take a few percent). And the carbon particles in diesel exhaust are carcinogenic.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Tell that to Leah Betts.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You are Correction, you are too senile to understand.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Total bollocks - you are known to be senile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A Prius is cool. Propaganda about energy to make it. Daily Mail garbage. The Prius is now old hat technology - you never knew that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This dumb Chav again.

Conversions? Boy is he dumb.