More nannying from two jags

He might have to decommision one of his combis.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You mean *new* buildings I take it?

You can see the logic, although as with most legislation of this type you know that it will be a counterproductive waste of time within six months of enactment.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just read what I meant to write

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The proposals are at

Section 3 (page 97-). 1.3MB file.

I also see another added cost: "As part of the application for Building Regulations approval, an energy statement should be provided signed by a person with relevant credentials detailing what energy efficiency improvements are to be included in the building work." Wonder which organisation will get that job.

Reply to
John Armstrong

There could be a danger with this proposal that people will be discouraged from improving the energy efficiency of their homes now, if they know that future new work will automatically require a further upgrade to the existing property.

James

Reply to
James

What are you on about? How is the third world today?

Reply to
IMM

The requirement to do energy saving works is subject to the check that they must have a payback period of 7 years, so if you've already topped up the loft insulation, insulated the cavities and put in the condensing boiler there may be nothing to do.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Presumably yet another medieval guild that requires you to have been a member for ten years before you can apply to be a member.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They should make it madatory to have two.

Reply to
IMM

More of the Nanny Orwellian State, insualting our homes etc also increases the internal pollution and cancer causing agents that exist in our homes. About time we formed a new political party "the peoples government" who are not hell bent on controlling the masses and taxing them to the hilt.

Reply to
dms1.go-plus.net

So this is what all people with houses like yours should do to meet this requirement.

Reply to
Mike

The government has been trying to persaude us to insulate for years to meet the Kyoto protocol, but as with seat-belts, smoking and so on, until it's actually compulsory nobody does.

Reply to
Mike

Then hopefully he will amend the rules and start allowing old buildings to be demolished and a new one of identical size but modern highly insulated construction to be built in it's place. This solves umpteen other problems as well as insulation in one stroke.

Reply to
Mike

Is smoking compsulory?

Oh bugger. I'll have to find the Rizla machine, bet it's all rusted up ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nice idea. My mum lives in a street of large Victorian houses with a few infill ones where the original buyers bought double plots. Opposite her someone has paid £850K (reputedly) for a 1960ish house, cavity walls, replacement d.g. windows etc and razed it to the ground so they can build a house to their own design. Conservation Area status means that there is no chance of demolishing the Victoriana so the newer houses will be the first to go.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I wasn't thinking of wall insulation specifically. Our 1950s place also has solid brick external walls (unusually) and I'm not about to want to lose 50mm of the already small dimensions of the rooms adding Celotex either.

It seems you have already done as much as could be reasonably expected anyway.

Lee

Reply to
Lee
[ reformated to the correct Usenet standard ]

IIRC there already is one, here and in many other countries, it's called the Communist Party - didn't work to well in the old USSR though - human nature being what it is....

BTW, the following URL might help if you're going to stick around Usenet;

:::Jerry::::

Reply to
Capitol

I'm sure you actually belive this and that you are good to animals too. But, and a big real world but. ...it is the biggest pile of shit I have read since a I last read Plowman.

Sad but true.

Reply to
IMM

Can't imagine a pleb like you reading a classic of the English language, but maybe miracles happen and you've actually spent time reading Peirs Plowman. Doubt it though, as it may be many things, but a pile of shit isn't one of them.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield