More induced? flickering in mains led lighting

At a pals tother day and having replaced his gu10 halogens with less was miffed to find they flashed when turning on the separate kitchen light...

Is this a job for one of them resistor /capacitor combos across switch live & neutral at the switch?

Eg

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting cable causing the flashing. Putting one of the halogen GU10s back in to see if that stops the flashing is the simple test before fitting the suggested item.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

kitchen

A single flash at the moment that the other light is switched on or repeated flashing when the other light is on?

A possibilty so is a switched neutral and some form of back feeding.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Although my kitchen LEDs don't flicker or flash, I had a feeling with one sort of lamp that the colour temperature of two lamps in a fitting seemed low and went up when the other set was turned on (the increase in light made it difficult to be sure, to be sure). I chesked the lamp holders (E14) and found that the L and N were wrong on one holder on each luminaire - and the same with a third that I had elsewhere. When I get a tuit... Since put in lamps with a better spread for the job and there's no sign of low temperature. From now on I'll always check the polarity of ES holders, although if they'd been BC I probably wouldn't have considered it.

Reply to
PeterC

/I assume they only started to flash when in the switched off state!

If so this is a classic example of inductance from the other lighting cable causing the flashing. Putting one of the halogen GU10s back in to see if that stops the flashing is the simple test before fitting the suggested item.

Cheers /Q

Aha! Yes when the led equipped fittings are off, operating the kitchen lights (all traditional bulbs) makes the leds flash once.

Tried a halogen gu10 in each light fitting (each has 4 x gu10s), to my surprise they all still flashed when other switches operated, including the halogen gu10 (more of a glow than a flash but definitely visible)...

So seems my initial thought for a solution won't work?

What next please? Cheers

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I guess ES fitting should always have the live in the centre? I think I ought to check around mine.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In a BC holder it doesn't, of course, matter. In screw sockets it's really just taking advantage of the design to have the L harder to reach - more effective in E14 than in E27. If testing live, especially in E14, be careful not to short the contacts (DAMHIKT!).

Reply to
PeterC