More government stupidity.

Not what the statistics show, or more importantly what the people who pay for them feel about it.

Really? I didn't see a place on the ballot paper where one could choose allocation of police funding.

The reality is that they won't typically even show up for a car break in. That isn't good enough.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Please explain how the sex of the chief constable inluences police policy and operations.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Around where?

Reply to
Andy Hall

May next year 100. By 2010, < 50 .....

Reply to
Andy Hall

You've been cross-posting to cam.misc, a newsgroup for Cambridge.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Have you ever tried to influence a Police Authority (formerly a Watch Committee)?

I'm afraid that, although they hold supposed public 'consultations' and meetings, the only people they have any regard to is the police trade union called ACPO. It seems that ACPO is THE body that decides police priorities, with very little local discretion...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I was posting to uk.d-i-y.

cam.misc was probably on the cc. list.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He will then usually use either a stolen car, or a totally street legal one.

Silly to drive around with 20 grand of coke in the back of a car with an out of date tax disc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cam.misc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lets not go there please ;-)

Had enough Nanny state for one day..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, but going by experience I have to say not unusual, never mind unknown. There's probably a butter side down ieffect as well, in that plod probably catches more of such muppets than the dealers who don't do this.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mmm.... I have enough of nanny state pretty much every day.

I wouldn't worry, I don't think that he'll be able to manage to answer the question in any meaningful way in any case.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Yes, but only in theory. The only option for tractors is 12 months :-)

I rather suspect you are correct :-(

Reply to
Graeme

No less than uk.d-i-y. In the articles you post you have the header line:

Newsgroups: cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Look at what you've posted and you'll see it!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Police priorities are decided *much* more locally than that. Attendees at the North Area Committee, for example, will have observed the police leaving the meeting with priorities that weren't the ones they were expected when they arrived at the meeting.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Umm. I'm not at all sure that I, or anyone else, has told them they need to spend half their time or more filling in paperwork rather than rounding up the local villainry, or whatever the current figure is..

The problem is that every politician you have ever met or voted for will no doubt tell you that excessive bureacracy is A Bad Thing, but once they actually get into power they seem totally unable or unwilling to do much about it - except enact new laws that add to the existing mountain. Voting more money doesn't help; all that extra dosh needs administration, doesn't it, to make sure that it's spent properly?

It's not money that's the problem, it's the fact that cops are being paid to fill in forms rather than catching crooks.

Reply to
Richard Meredith

AFAICT the 'penalties' involve stuffing their mouths with more cash.

Reply to
Richard Meredith

Having spent time hanging around with police - go out on the streets, nick someone, spend the rest of the shift on the paperwork - it's impossible to disagree with that.

Reply to
Tim Ward

In message , at

09:02:00 on Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Richard Meredith remarked:

What happens is that when in power governments enact ever more stringent measures, which they hedge around with ever more "safeguards", which are essentially and enhanced paper trail which is supposed to guard against abuse. Whether it's effective is another debate, but this is where the extra form filling comes from.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Exactly. The rel thing is the government - especially todays government

- is run by people who do not, and never have had to, make a profit out of managing a complex large system..

The fact that they spend a million to save a thousand every time, never features in their thinking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher