More gash plumbing

We decided the plumbing here was gash very soon after we moved in 2.5 years ago. Today, work started redoing SWMBO's bathroom; the ceiling was removed first cos the boiler chimney is in the corner of the bathroom and room below and it's going. As it's the corner of the house, the roof hip was supported by the inner corner of the chimney (instead of extending over the corner of the wall plate (?) as elsewhere). He's got to access that from below to see how to support the hip once the chimney is no longer there. So far so good.

However, the two tanks in the loft just there are fun. Both are on bits of chipboard flooring resting, not even on the joists, but are jacked up slightly by bits of timber. None of these bits of wood or chipboard are screwed to each other.

Further, one of the tanks with its bit of chipboard is balanced just on

*one* joist. It's stabilised only by the tongue on that bit of chipboard, fitting into the groove of the other (OK, by the pipework too).

Well, this'll be the end to most of the gashery. Our bloke redid half the plumbing last year, and this job will redo the rest (apart from CH pipework). He and his mate both live in the village and are recommended by everyone we've spoken to that they've done work for.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think I've found some of that chap's work elsewhere:

Owain

Reply to
YAPH

Grimly Curmudgeon

I live on an estate of 160 houses built between 1972 and 1978, and that was the typical way of supporting the cold tank at that time. Five bits of 2x2 (or whatever laid to hand) laid across the mid-point of about 4 roof trusses (with an 8 metre span) then a couple of bits of flooring t&g chipboard. None of the flux cleaned off the copper pipework. 90 degree copper bends in CH or 22mm hot water pipes 'temporarily' located with a big iron nail bashed into a hoop, so that expansion and contraction would eventually rub a hole.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
John Rumm