Monobloc tap tails

I've got a couple of monobloc taps to fit. The tails they came with are copper and sit very close together at the 15mm end. I want to connect them using flexible connectors but can't see how I can tighten the compression nuts with them being so close. I could replace them with a pair of flexible tap tails from Screwfix (27936 - I assume the 10mm is the outside diameter of the thread) but I'm concerned that the bore is only 8mm and the consequent flow from the tap will be badly affected.

Anyone got any experience?

TIA.

Once you have fitted the tap to the sink, tighten the tails into the base of the tap. Then the copper tails can be eased apart sufficiently for compression or pushfit connectors to be installed.

Reply to
Neil

I had wondered if that would work but was worried that the narrower, tap end of the connector might kink.

Would cutting one of the connectors shorter to avoid the compression nuts being next to each other help?

In the same way small bore copper pipe can be easily bent the smaller bore at the tap is also quite flexible. You only need to pull them apart enough to get fittings onto them so don't go crazy.

btw I fix the tails before fixing the tap to the sink but you can do it either way.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Thanks: I'll be gentle!

I'll do just that.

F wrote in news:44d331e5$0$963$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

I've done that - I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but I had to bend the tails a bit less...

mike

Reply to
mike

I've done as you've suggested with replacing them in a few locations. Flow restriction was not an issue, but in all cases water was at mains pressure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just checked what I did and I have side by side Hep2O straight connectors roughly the same thickness as compression fittings but without spanner access problems. The tails are just gently splayed out to fit. Think I have fitted service valves previously as the transition from tails to pipework depending on access.

BTW is it a kitchen sink or a basin?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

First of two basins. Kitchen sink later!

Looks like it'll be worth giving the 'splay method' a try. If it goes wrong then I can always get a pair of flexible tails.

You will find the tails are very soft annealed copper usually, so you can easily pull them apart to allow room for the fittings.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have a problem with flow through the tails you'll have problems with flow through the taps too: these things are usually intended for mains or reasonable gravity-fed pressures. Had one poor soul who'd had a kitchen sink pull-out spray mixer installed which she'd bought in and brought from her native middle east where they presumably don't have fortics on flats :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

You can always add a pump...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a matter of interest, which make/model did you use?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Stewart Turner Showermate. Can't remember the exact cost, but a bit over

100 quid.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

She had an ancient boiler which is in the bed next to the door and the fortic taking up a siginifcant proportion of the space in her flat so I said replace it with a combi

Reply to
John Stumbles

Very soft (now where have I heard that before...!).

Now I need to know which one is to be hot and which one cold to match the other taps in the house. Is it a case of turn the tap to the right to open the right-hand inlet?

Yes the tap heads match the pipes, you could have saved yourself a posting by blowing up a pipe and turning 'on' the taps.

By the way if you stagger the joints by shortening one of the pipes you will reduce the distance you need to bend the pipes apart.

HTH

John

Reply to
John