Monobloc Mixer

My mum has just moved house and there seems to be a problem with the kitchen tap. It is a lever type monobloc mixer. The senario is: 1. Lever down and 'centered' all OK 2. Lever down and pushed to cold side, tap dribbles 3. Lever up and pushed to cold side, lots of cold water (OK) 4. Lever down and pushed to hot side, lots of cold water (???), never gets hot. 5. Lever up and pushed to hot side, lots of water which eventually ( after 4 galls i.e. 2 watering cans) it gets hot enough to use.
I thought these taps worked as in lever down = no flow regardless of position and lever up water flows and you swivel it hot or cold. Is this tap cattled?
TIA
John