Monitoring pH levels... how ?

Could do - but then I'd have to watch the security camera..... I was looking for a 'you're about to run out' alarm. The alarm bit's easy - it's the sensor that's bothering me

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Could do - but my life's not that organised...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Again - not likely to win me too many 'brownie points' if it goes off @

2am.... - and not really a 'you're about to run out' warning....
Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I see that probes on their own are available - don;t know what sort of output they give, and whether they can be left immersed continually ? I was looking to see if any of the 'aquarium' stuff had alarms, but couldn't see one that did (cheaply!)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'm not that organised! Water usage tends to vary winter vs summer with watering in the polytunnel..

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

As someone else suggested, mount the alkali container on a spring supported plate with a microswitch attached to operate an alarm of your choice. I've used a similar (non-electrical) device to check on the contents of Calor Gas containers in the past. Effectively, it's a cheap, not very accurate, scale.

Or set a calendar reminder on your phone or computer to visually check the level every few weeks.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm not an 'organised' sort of person re diaries. Life happens on a day-to-day basis here - not that much routine.

You';re right about the pH meter solution though - by the time the pH has gone up then it's too late - thinking about it - it's some kind of advance warning that's needed - which is probably another level switch in the dosing chemical....?

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Had thought about that as a possibility.... platform, big spring, microswitch - might just be the simplest way. This stuff is very dense - so mechanically there'd need to be some kind of safe (? metal) platform for it to sit on...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

There's already one float switch as part of the dosing system - but it simply stops the dosing & lights the tiny led - doesn't do anything 'useful' Any switchery needs to withstand the seriously alkaline environment...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

You're right - that's what it does. Need to catch the fact that the tank is 'soon going to be empty'

- to prevent the blue bath syndrome.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

..but the light's 'too late' - by the time the text had arrived by bath will be blue, and I'll know!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Yes - but I don;t really want to be drinking water that's pH5 - which is what it indicates without the dosing...

don;t start me on lead!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

a 'digital' scale - no less (on/off !) I've a friend who is a metal-basher - it's a possibility...

Opaque container - can't see the contents..

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Set something to email you every month reminding you.

Reply to
Clive George

The last one I used, the float contained a magnet slid up & down on a rod that contained a reed switch.

There are also floating bulb types, the switch is activated when the bulb dangles on the connecting lead.

All sealed against hostile chemicals.

Reply to
Onetap

According to the data sheet, the standard version of these will work in alkali, neutral or mildly acid liquids:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I can empathise with that. I rarely know what day of the week it is or the date. However, if you aim to check it once a month, you should manage to achieve at least once every three months, which is all you really need. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Hmm! you drink the stuff? Do you chlorine dose as well?

If you want a none invasive detector use s two wire proximity switch for your caustic container.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

And end up with foul tasting water. Not to mention the high cost of a suitably sized unit and ongoing maintenance.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Float switch into side of container?

Mathew Newton