modern/cheap ballcocks

Prai Jei spouted forth:

Disgusting I call it. And youre still claiming youre sweet pure and innocent I see.

Happens to us all

Reply to
Hairy Monster

They say the simple formula is: If there are more people in your household than bedrooms stay on the rates

If there are less people than bedrooms go on the meter

Steve Terry

-- Get a free Three 3pay Sim with £2 bonus after £10 top up

Steve Terry

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:24:11 -0000, Steve Terry wrote the following to uk.misc:

If it's a shared supply, run away. I went from about £25/month to £80/month because I was paying next door's bill as well as my own and it still wasn't enough. Rates for a single person might be a bit more expensive but it's less fuss. You still have to pay standing and sewerage charges with a meter and they assume the volume of waste water is 95% of the water going in. Useful to know that if you ask for a meter to be installed, you can have it removed up to a year after the fitting date. However, if it was alreasdy there when you moved in, it stays regardless of when it was fitted.

What happened next with me was that I wrote to Yorkshire Water a few weeks before I moved out saying it was obvious there was something odd going on and I wanted to get it sorted out. They sent someone round to check for leaks (I assumed it might be an underground one, but that's a *lot* of water) and couldn't find anything, but when they turned on next door's outside tap the rotor on my meter started spinning round, so that was the problem. YW customer service rang back a few days later when it had been reported and processed, and told me that they'd write off the remainder of the water bill until the end of March (I moved to somewhere just round the corner which had the same rates) and refunded £200. The meter would stay in place but they'd have a note saying that it wasn't in use. This is why I always write (with an old fashioned paper letter) when I'm complaining about things. Emails and phone calls can get lost in the system, but letters can be copied and left on desks to embarrass senior managers.

The place I'm in now is about 50 years older and the supply is shared between 3 houses, but they're not all adjacent. When 2 doors down turned off their outside stopcock it also cut off my supply. I'm guessing the original plans of where the water mains are have been lost with so many changes to suppliers over the years, so now no-one really knows exactly what pipe runs where.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Fewer

Reply to
Dave Budd

Our street's on;y about 15 years old, and the builder just ran the pipes wherever he felt like it at the time. YW repair guys are really pissed off with him whenenver they come to fix leaks.

Reply to
Dave Budd

....but I don't end up posting notes asking what to do about my dripping tap - or the tap I can't undo. I am a BIG believer in preventative maintenance. If someone has something that squeaks / seizes then I will try and avoid a similar problem. Much easier in the long term. Inherited behaviour from my father who would oil my bike every Sunday. (Days of oil hole in hubs)

Reply to
John

15 years old and you are having leaks already?
Reply to
cynic

Pikeys digging up the pipes?

Reply to
Bob Eager

seemes to be just the one place, has gone twice. after the freeze, most recently.

Reply to
Dave Budd

Are they those special Tavistock ones? I find they're particularly high-maintenance.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Vernon

What is a fewer and how does one get on it?

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

He means me gramma ain't good init?

Me Grandads not much neiver