Moderation please

Sounds like you are reading NNTP via Email.

Email based mailing-lists & web-forums can implement moderation, but on USENET it is not a practical solution.

Even on mailing-lists & web-forums, true moderation is undesireable because it introduces significant latency which destroys conversational interaction & limits contribution.

Web-forums instead tend to implement filtering based on user reports, outsourcing the task to whoever sees it first. Click "report to moderator" gets offending posts deleted. As such it requires little moderator effort or latency.

Change how you view uk.d-i-y by using an NNTP client (Newsreader) or view it via one of the web forums (HTTP). NTTP clients can filter spam by subject keywords or size, web forums can implement similar filtering (automatically).

They always said NNTP was dead in the mid 1990s, but it seems to survive quite well - depends on subject area.

uk.d-i-y can be frightening at times re questions. However its real asset is the ability to use

(Google :-) to search through the past and be able to see questions, answers. It allows notices to assess their own skills because they don't know what they don't know and that can be the most dangerous. Learning never stops.

Might stop some trying £20 chainsaws as "safe-n-cheap". Answers may be wrong, but that is a risk with Usenet in providing answers from demolish (saniflow) to unvented.

So if you can get HTTP access consider using Google. That way you can not only read groups, but search. A purely NTTP experience via email/webforum is limited.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

This is your first post and it's off topic...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless you use a proper Usenet Reader.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS! It's from Microsoft, and every penny they earn goes to help destroy the universe :-) It also attracts criminals.

Use a proper Usenet Reader like Forte, or if you want it integrated into your email: Mozilla Thunderbird or Seamonkey.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Not quite true. It depends on the way your usenet reader (aka nntp-client) works. Some just provide an on-line access to the nntp server's store - with these there needs to be filter on what it will display. Others download the news to your machine, and then you can process the incoming stream to remove stuff permanently.

So it is quite practical, but you need to choose your solution with care, and since the bandwidth sellers want you to use bandwidth, they mostly push the on-line access.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Happy Hunter

It still cannot be done. Moeratin that is.

Kill files are not moderation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is the uk DIY newsgroup: you're expected to moderate it yourself :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I've been using OE since I gave up using CS Nav and I've never had a problem with it. On advice from newsgroups I tried Thunderbird and Forte but just could not get on with them and ended up going back to OE. There's nothing wrong with it... in moderation :-)

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

You can't be serious. Think of all the chaps called Edward who would be terrible upset.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Well I swapped to Thunderbird from OE (both used as newsreaders only) about a couple of years ago. Apart from the warm fuzzy glow I get from using a non-MS product, I can't really claim to see much difference!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Happy Hunter writes

1/ I certainly don't want this NG moderated, and 2/ who is going to do it ?
Reply to
geoff

The message from geoff contains these words:

Neither would I.

I am sure Dribble would be very keen. ;-)

Reply to
Roger

AIUI, this group cannot be made 'moderated'. The FAQ link above relates to non-uk groups, as this is a uk. hierarchy, it is ruled by the UK Usenet Committee, who would'nt pass such a proposal.

If someone proposes a .moderated group, then it would be debated, then a vote taken. It would fail without doubt.

A similar thing has happened in the last few years with uk.legal. There were so many troll postings that it was getting very hard to read anything decent in there, so a uk.legal.moderated group was proposed and passed, and both groups are alive and well, the unmoderated group still full of trolls and 'slagging off' posts, and the .moderated group full of readable posts.

This group (d-i-y) has very few trolls, and even fewer adverts, so there is no real need for any moderation. Alan

Reply to
A.Lee

To be fair, there are not overwhelming reasons to prefer it - just a bunch of smaller things. It threads properly and does not get confused if someone changes a thread title, it does sig blocks correctly and can quote better (although there is a third party IE fix for this). The filtering seems more flexible. It does not use IE to render HTML and all the baggage that brings. It has offline newsgroup access if required. The storage of messages etc is in a fairly simple and open text format that is readily shifted in and out of other apps rather than bespoke MS format files.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dunno why. The name comes from *Theodore* Roosevelt...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I used it & swapped back to OE. Bloody useless.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thunderbird is useless as a newsreader, its great as a email client but the NG part needs a lot of work.

I would recommend 40tude dialog, its the newsreader that got me off OE onto something thats more useable than the alternatives, and has quite advanced filtering. Used in combination with thunderbird makes for a great combination.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote in news:lg7e1gvblhg$.1n95dszbxr28e$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Xnews anybody?

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I am aware filtering is possible via a NNTP client.

My comment was w.r.t. creating a Moderated Newsgroup as defined via the usual RFD CFV process. Since uk.d-i-y is a national hierarchy I have not checked whether it has rules for newsgroup change - I last read the RFCs in 1995.

A moderated newsgroup operates by a local NNTP client emailing posts to the group moderator or by a user directly emailing a post to a group moderator. Group moderator may be a 'bot/human and will only post the message to the moderated newsgroup if it is allowed - "anti-spam". Human moderator processing introduces high latency, disrupting a topic area which is mainly conversational.

Even if it were possible to change uk.d-i-y to a moderated group it is not a practical solution for a DIY topic area.

Someone could try to created a moderated uk.d-i-y.disc however I suspect it would fail to get the requisite votes. Moderated newsgroups are for qualified research areas, where the latency suits "spare minutes on Janet" and a poster can tolerate interactivity worse than a call centre.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury