Mobile Phones - Battery Life

In that case try Hugin.

It's free and based on the same libraries. IIRC ptgui is just a front-end, as is Hugin.

Reply to
Andrew May

As already suggested.........

Simple phones, big buttons, long battery life.

Reply to
stuart noble

I leave mine switch off and only turn on very occasionally so the battery lasts for ages though I do have to keep setting the clock and calendar!

Reply to
MB

Well you know why that is? "There's no call for it guv...". ;-)

Of course there is some call for it but more & more people want a smart phone these days and that's where the money is to be made. Even my 87 yr old mother is agitating for an iPhone.

Hopefully the Nokia 105 will make it to these shores.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Unless I have missed something for the functionality they offer they are nothing to write home about with 12hour talk 500 hour standby.

Most of the ones I listed were nominally 600 hours standby or more.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Alas, the price of properties around there that I would have actually wanted to buy, although falling in price, were tantalisingly out of reach, and I decided that I had to make do with what I could afford then without waiting any longer, so went elsewhere. I'm not complaining though. It's nice around here too, though not quite so spectacularly so.

Absolutely.

For anyone interested, the locations of the shots I've posted are as follows (to get the full effect of the panoramas, I suggest zooming in so that the height fills the screen and then slowly panning across them):

Aird, Isle Of Skye, Oct 2012 Long: -5.936944 Lat: 57.041943 This panorama is so badly stitched that AFAICR it's even missing chunks out of it - I think the original series of shots encompassed a wider field of view. I hadn't got to grips with the shortcomings of the panorama setting by then.

Kylerhea, Isle Of Skye, Nov 2012 Long: -5.673056 Lat: 57.280278

From The Murchison Memorial, nr Kyle Of Lochalsh, Nov 2012 Long: -5.722222 Lat: 57.221669

From The Commando Memorial, nr Spean Bridge, Dec 2012 Long: -4.944167 Lat: 56.897778

Yes there is, alas not mine however!

Reply to
Java Jive

My wife was the same. Until one day, a couple of years ago. She had a hospital appointment, and at the end the receptionist said they could book her in for the next one there and then. I started getting my [Windows] work phone out, to check the calendar, and make an entry. The first two dates I nished (she had other appointments), and we settled on a 3rd. My wife asked how come I had her appointments on my phone ...

"Well, when I make an entry on my work calendar, it synchs with the phone" "Could I have something like that ?"

now she loves it. Use gsynch with her hotmail account, and she can synch appointments with me (and vice-versa). Although she's also getting used to email on the move.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It certainly would, if true. You could jump your car from that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It has launched in India recently (April 10)

Reply to
djc

Well, yes, the "smartphone" does much more than a 6310i.

I have the Nokia 808 and it has saved me carrying a camera, because its camera (40MP, downsampling to 8 or 12MP) totally outclasses any camera you can stick in your pocket, and I mean including the £400 ones. In fact, in favourable daylight conditions, still subjects, it is almost as good as a DSLR. To me, a keen photographer, that has real serious value, in reducing how much junk one has to carry.

The functionality is great. Even down to making calls for $0.005/minute over VOIP (if one can find WIFI). On long trips I take a laptop; that will never change.

The problem is that there is no free lunch, no real advances in batteries, etc, so charging daily is pretty much normal and if you can get 2 days you are lucky. But this is normally accepted. If I go on an overnight trip I throw a mains charger and a car charger in the backpack; on satnav one does well to get 5hrs out of any phone with max brightness screen.

One can get 3x24hrs out of the phone if one disables 3G, which is pointlessly stupid to have running all the time, since GSM can carry voice and SMS, and GPRS is fine for collecting small emails and satnav traffic updates.

The claimed battery life figures are based on disabling 3G, GPS, WIFI, bluetooth, etc. They are meaningless.

Reply to
Peter

On 18/04/2013 11:33, Martin Brown wrote:> > I can't be the only one that needs a compact robust mobile phone that > doesn't need recharging every day and does the basics very well.

For normal use I have Samsung Galaxy S3 ... superb SMART phone. On odd occasions where I want max battery life and just phone functionality I use my Nokia 6310i .... superb device. Best Nokia phone ever made

BTW if it were in a Farady cage ,... battery life would be worse as it would be polling on high power to get a connection

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Grimly Curmudgeon considered Fri, 19 Apr 2013

15:39:41 +0100 the perfect time to write:

At 5v 12Ah, it would probably melt if you tried that.

Reply to
Phil W Lee

I don't expect more than one person in a hundred to agree with me, but I find that one charge lasts several months so long as I remember to keep the phone switched off. :-)

Reply to
Windmill

In message , Windmill writes

Avoidance of nuisance calls can also be achieved by failing to charge altogether.

On T my ancient Sharp 770SA currently does about 5 days standby. How much of a problem is *part* charging?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it were at 12 v of course.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Sorry but I find that hard to believe. AFAIK it's just not possible to fit a good lens in a phone-sized object.

I've not tried the Nokia 808 but would it really be better than a small system camera (which would also fit into a pocket)?

Reply to
Mark

why not? The are plenty of good optical instruments with small lenses. I suspect cost considerations are the killer.

Reply to
charles

It could well be better than most - see the review at:

They don't like the phone though!

Reply to
Martin Brown

But then you can't send that unanticipated text to younger daughter hoping she wasn't in Boston.

Reply to
Windmill

Although they are very popular in the USA, the hinge adds an extra level of unreliability

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry