mobile phone ring tones

Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone. The ring tone is the Scout song Ging Gang Goolie etc. The phone is a Nokia 6303, but the manual does not mention putting ring tones onto it. It has been suggested that I use the recorder facility on the phone, but I'm no too sure.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Time for a divorce?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need three things to do this easily:

  • A phone that plays MP3s, not just magic ringtone files (anything mainstream in the last few years)
  • A phone that connects easily to a desktop PC (anything in the last few years)
  • Minimal fiddling

Download a copy of Audacity as a sound editor.

Find an MP3 of the whole song, or make your own by recording a jamboree (I presume that if you want this, you know where to obtain it)

Slice it up into 20 seconds or so with Audacity, just to save a bit of space.

Upload it to the phone. Most phones (and probably a 6303, although I don't know how old that is) support some sort of USB / Bluetooth / memory card that will allow you to connect them to a PC well enough to do a simpel file transfer. The target directory is important and will be the one with the ringtone samples in it.

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

If it's a recent Nokia, you put contact names into "groups" and attach the ringtone to a group, not to individual numbers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could I afford it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've got that. It was used to remove the verbal intro from the music.

I've got an edited version of what she wants.

Yes, I did wonder about the length.

Only a couple of months I think.

She doesn't have a USB lead for it, but I do have a bluetooth and infrared dongles.

Noted all and I'll print it out for later

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It does have a mini USB connector

i.e. upload it to the memory (or better still spend a fiver on a 2 Gb Micro SD card).

Within the phone software, navigate to the folder you saved it to, and when you've found it, select the 'Options' button. Scroll down to the 'use tone' option and select 'Set as Ringing tone'.

Reply to
OG

snip

Yes, and I have found the connector in the box. I just need to find my USB extension cable now.

I've located the slot for it. Can I pre-load the card with the ring tone prior to fitting it? I have a reader / writer adaptor that will accept the card and plug into my computer.

I'll have a play with it when I am feeling a bit better, I have a bad chest at the moment.

Thanks for your help and time

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My nokia can take the ringtone from any folder on it. And although its possible to have separate ringtones for groups or individuals its easier just to set it as the default ringtone for General mode.

My ringtone is Summertime.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

As I can't find the ring tone on my computer, I'll make a new one and put it onto a memory stick and get our son to do it. It's the easiest way for me :-)

No comebacks, no hassle :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, you can do that. No problems. You can also pre-load some podcasts/music files as well.

Not good.

No problem.

I don't know about you, but if you're interested . . . at first I didn't see the point of using the Nokia Suite to synch with my PC, but after suffering a dropped phone which threatened to lose all my saved contacts and calendar entries I think I see the point now.

If you ever lose or damage your phone beyond repair, you can backup everything from your computer.

In my case I'd cracked the screen, but using the software and the USB cable I could read and reply to emails without relying on the phone's screen.

The software also synchs with Outlook, so you can keep track of diary/calendar entries on your phone or on your PC.

Oh, and if you do damage your screen - there are city centre repair places that will do it for about £30, but for lots of popular phones you can buy replacement screens for less than £20.

Reply to
OG

meant to write 'texts' rather than 'emails'

Reply to
OG

Many thanks for that info. I never thought about using it that way. I have some ones dead phone in front of me at the moment. I'm going to have a play with that later.

Back to the ring tone, wife is a happy bunny now. I stripped out the part of the song she wanted and edited it and our son put it onto her phone as an MP3. The only problem I had was that Audacity could not export the ring tone as MP3, so I had to download a DLL.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this project.

Dave

Reply to
Dave