mobile phone ...leave a message question

Bit of a long shot this but will ask anyway, I dont understand all this mobile stuff.

I phoned a person and their mobile clicked on to `leave a message` During the ...`please leave a message after the tone` I could swear I heard the person I was calling say its so and so and then the pre recorded message continued. Is this possible?

Reply to
ss

What? Of course you can record your own voice in part or all of the outgoing message for mobiles.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I understand that but as the message was playing, I am sure I heard a few words spoken in the background that were not part of the message. It was 2 distinctly different voices. I am just curious to know if when the pre recorded message is playing will it somehow pick up background voices. I cant see how but then I rarely use a mobile.

Reply to
ss

Well not that I'm aware of, but of course when the person made the recording one assumes they used the mobile and if it was not in a quiet place.. the way to tell is to ring it a second time and see if its different. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I understand that but as the message was playing, I am sure I heard a few words spoken in the background that were not part of the message. It was 2 distinctly different voices. I am just curious to know if when the pre recorded message is playing will it somehow pick up background voices. I cant see how but then I rarely use a mobile.

Reply to
ss

This happens on the house phone (DECT).

If the phone is picked up after the answer machine cuts in the voice and the message can be heard at the same time. No idea if mobiles can do the same.

Reply to
soup

Three realistic possibilities really here

  1. When the person you called recorded their message, there was someone else in the background talking, and this was picked up, and is on the recording ,so will stay there if you call back, unless they have re-recorded it
  2. You didn't really get their voicemail, they answered it an pretended to be voicemail
  3. You imagined it

When a mobile goes to voicemail, it is not recorded on the mobile handset, but on the voicemail system of the provider, so as soon as voicemail kicks in, the phone is disconnected.

I suppose it is not impossible for the voicemail to kick in, and the call to have been answered, but I would suggest that is extremely unlikely, as I have never heard of something like this happening before!

Reply to
Toby

Another possibility is the mobile was on divert to a landline, and the voicemail was a local machine, and another phone was picked up when it was playing out the message

Reply to
Toby

Bit of a long shot this but will ask anyway, I don't understand all this

My Orange mobile gives me two options for personalising voice mail.

  1. Record a full personal outgoing message.
  2. Record just my name, which they then insert into their standard message.

I have never known of a mobile system that allows the user to monitor or speak over incoming calls to the voice mail.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Wouldn't happen as speech path would be disconnected before it is sent to recording servers

Reply to
Rick Hughes

def an optiuon

Reply to