Mobile phone connection to WAN.

Can't get mine (Nokia N95) to work no matter what I do. It's the only wireless device I have so not certain the WAN is correctly set up either. It picks it up - and my neighbour's ones - but on connecting (I've entered the correct WEP) it appears to connect but when trying to browse get a 'no gateway' message.

I thought the phone might be faulty but have connected to a WAN where no WEP is required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think that happens when the phone establishes a WiFi link (implying the encryption side is OK), but the follow-on IP configuration (DHCP, etc) doesn't work.

It has to be said that the WiFi/IP connectivity of these phones is probably the flakiest WiFi/IP connectivity I've come across. I often give up and use 3G/IP instead, which works really well.

(Mine's an E61i, but it's basically the same software stack inside.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I take it you don't mean WAN but WLAN?

Have you got a DHCP server that will allocate addresses to wireless clients?

Why are you use WEP? and have you tried WPA2?

Have you tried allocating the phone a static IP address that is unused elsewhere on the LAN?

Reply to
John Rumm

Turn off any encryption (WEP/WPA) on the WiFi router temporarily and see if you can connect.

Reply to
Jonah

Google it - I had the same with mine, on contract from Vodafone, ended up finding pages of set-up that was required to get it to work properly. I'm not being dismissive - just it was a bugger to get working.

I'd offer to show you my settings, except the screens buggered :(

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I use WPA-PSK with my Nokia E65.

I have also found that I can used a fixed IP address (etc) which I set up in the connection settings for my home network. I think that this helps when trying to access devices on my home network.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Could be - but the setup page in the router calls it WAN.

Dunno about that one - as I said all my computers are wired.

The phone only seems to mention WEP.

Can't find a page on the phone to enter such details. Just WEP. Everything else on my LAN has fixed IP addresses - due to having a couple of old RISC OS computers, as well as PCs, and the RISC OS ones will only file share with the PCs via fixed addresses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well ADSL routers do WAN as well as LAN and often WLAN ;-)

DHCP runs on wired as well as wireless. There should be a setting on the router for it. What make / model of router is it?

Some have the more exotic options on further sub menus - so you have to say I want WEP in order to get any encryption, and then turn on WPA or WPA2 with TKIP

from a quick Google:

access point's options settings, choose advanced/options/ipv4 settings

You could test dhcp with a PC by setting its IP settings to "automatic".

I am sure you know how to do that, but just in case any readers don't:

Open control panel | Network Connections | Local Area Connection | Properties | Internet Protocol | Properties | Obtain IP Address Automatically.

Click OK an see if it gets an address on your LAN (typing ipconfig at a command prompt will tell you, ipconfig /renew should also work without raising an error)

Reply to
John Rumm

Right. More confused. What's the difference?

Billion. It does do DHCP which is enabled.

I don't seem to be able to store manual settings - it always goes back to WEP from WPA/WPA2

Yes - I know that works. I'm only using fixed addresses to allow the RISC OS machines to file share with the PCs. It also allows them to use the PC printer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have no problem with n95 with my netgear, it was difficult to set-up. but now it working fine.

Is the phone software up-to-date? Can you connect other items with the router?

Reply to
zaax

WAN = Wide Area Network - what the ATM side of the router becomes a part of. LAN = Local Area Network - the ethernet side WLAN = Wireless (or WiFi) Lacal Area Network - the 802.11b/g/n wireless.

Ah, little blue or silver beastie probably... not bad routers actually.

On the phone or the router?

More to the point though, is the DHCP set to allocate addresses on the same subnet as you have manually configured your machines. With an all static address network you may never notice that DHCP clients would not be able to talk to it.

(i.e. you don't want all the computers on 192.168.0.0/24 when the DHCP is set to allocate addresses on the 192.168.1.0 subnet)

Reply to
John Rumm

Turns out the router wasn't actually saving changes. A re-boot sorted that. And of course the phone wouldn't accept a change to something that wasn't there.

All sorted now - although I'm still not sure why it works on WPA but not WEP?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I shouldn't worry, WEP is no use to man nor beast these days.

Reply to
John Rumm

FWIW, my wife's E65 never worked properly from day one on wifi. We could get it to work on WEP but not WPA.

We realised last night that the firmware version was way behind the current versions and one update later (and accidental deletion of all the contacts etc.) it was up and running just fine.

Check your firmware version and if it needs updating, make sure you use the Nokia Suite to back up everything first.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Mine's the reverse - it now works fine on WPA. Haven't played with WEP again as it's really a case of 'it should work therefore it I'll get it going' rather than actually needing it. ;-)

It's running the latest version.

Now if only I could get it to find the GPS satellites...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)