****************

From: Cicero Subject: Re: Moan about some Ebay sellers... Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:20 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

If your cheques are the same as mine then both now have a cheque bearing ^^^ your Account number, Sort code and your signature.

*****************************

Please explain the use of 'now' in this context? If it were omitted your statement stands. But including it means it is something relatively new. And I can't actually remember when cheques didn't contain all this information - if ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I expect sort codes and account numbers were introduced along with mechanised sorting and computerisation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think he meant " both the sellers now had etc etc " in other words they had in their possession cheques bearing all that info but then everyone who receives a cheque gets that info .different info obviously but you see what I mean .

Reply to
Stuart B

=================================== Your post:

But what got me was *BOTH* of them sent their addresses by e-mail in this format:-

----------------------------------- My reply:

If your cheques are the same as mine then *BOTH NOW HAVE A CHEQUE* bearing your Account number, Sort code and your signature. That's quite enough to enable identity theft. Keep an eye on your account.

---------------------------------- There is no suggestion of anything new - simply pointing out that BOTH sellers have a cheque with your details.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ok - I can see now what you meant. Although saying 'if they are like mine' confuses the issue somewhat as all cheques have those details. But it still makes no sense as everyone you send a cheque to gets those details. And plenty on Ebay still like a cheque - rather than pay the commission with Paypal. As I said before if just having in your possession a cheque from someone allowed you to steal their identity no business would be done anywhere. I think you've also missed the point that before someone can receive a cheque by post they have to give you a valid address to post it to. And anyway the ones to watch out for on Ebay are those who want paying by Western Union, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Late to this thread but enjoing the fun twixt prickly Dave et al.

Just by the way, some time ago I read an article by someone on ebay about using bank transfers to pay for things. As he pointed out, to crack the account with the info of just bank a/c and sort code would be no mean task. (I'm aware this thread is about *id* theft). He actually put his own details in the article and invited readers to attempt to take money from his account! Of course it could've been his wife's account I thought to myself - or maybeTony Bliar's (remember him?). Well anyway I thought, that's pretty brave - so I just looked up the article for us to savour - and guess what, it's gone! Guess he went bust :-)

In case anyone's interested it was at

dave

Sorry if I come across as 'prickly'. I'm not in the least. Just direct in replies. Saves space. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

================================== The expression is a common form of words, possibly a bit elliptical. Compare it with these commonplaces:

"If I were you...............!

"If you're anything like me................"

"If I were in his shoes.............."

The English language is generously supplied with such expressions which have little or no literal meaning but are fully understood especially when spoken.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero