MM's got a new panic on: Aurora AU-E60 failed x 2

I don't quite see why then the sheds sell those things (I have collected three over the years) if not to test for live wires/connections....

?

How *should* one make sure? (I do have a multimeter.)

MM

Reply to
MM

Well they make ok screwdrivers...

If you are doing much messing about with electrics then one of the non contact volt sticks are quite good, e.g. :

analogue multimeters will give a reliable indication of volts present or not. Digital ones are sometimes to sensitive and can see phantom volts when not actually there.

Reply to
John Rumm

suppose, safety is paramount. Oh dear, I've already spent my pension that is due to be paid as from August!

Mine's digital :(

MM

Reply to
MM

's only £5.57 at Amazon, with free shipping.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well that was a Fluke one! CPC have a few others at better prices.

Generally it will be ok, the only thing to watch is that they place so little load on a line, that when you measure between neutral and a floating wire that is in proximity with other powered ones - it might see it as live. Whereas an analogue one will probably draw enough current to drain the charge from the wire. Having said that, its a false positive that you are worrying about and not a false negative.

Reply to
John Rumm

> It's only £5.57 at Amazon, with free shipping.

Never tried it, but may well be ok. At the price its probably worth a punt.

Reply to
John Rumm