MK Echo

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system. Sounds quite interesting.

for prices, there are 58 results on amazon.co.uk.

The biggest downside seems to be their high cost. Are there any other manufacturers of similar products. (It sounds as if the technology is being made common to permit interworking.) Anyone got experience of using them?

To be honest, for now, the ordinary plug-in devices that cost a tiny fraction of those prices does everything I really need. So this is by way of interest rather than serious intent.

Reply to
polygonum

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by "harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

Reply to
Graham.

This is the underlying technology ...

Andy Burns

And here is where it was invented

The Natural Philosopher

would like to see is actual circuit diagrams etc.

Reply to
Graham.

Sort-of sounds like the homeopathy of the energy world. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

X10 is the cheaper standards-based option, and that's because the patents have run out and anyone can manufacture X10 parts, and many people do.

There are lots of newer (and better) products now, but you will pay heavily for them still being covered by patents/licensing. Some of the newer products are X10 backwards compatible, allowing you to upgrade an X10 installation without having to replace it all.

They are even cheaper than X10, but with no compatibility between products.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

transducers they use to gather energy. I'd like to think that it's possible to run stuff like this on sod all energy - after all, if they can pick up the tiny signal a space probe puts out from 20 bilyun miles away, I don't see why we can't use that technology here

Reply to
Tim Streater

The Other Mike

I hadn't heard of this home automation software before, apparently it works with the Echo/EnOcean switches ...

Andy Burns

Well you don't need much for a short duration few mW pulse of RF...

Looking at the site mentioned they have motion (switch operation or waggle it about/vibration) for power generation. I have a "shaker torch", powerful magnet slides back and forth through a coil of wire. Just letting the magnet drop through the coil makes the LED flash.

I like the peltier thermal stuff, there are temperature gradients all over the place. Light switch, warm room air one side, cold wall the other. Handheld remote, warm hand, cold innards.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In California, where they're based, they just wait for a 'quake to shake the building.

In a few years, they might just have a problem with overloading when the big one hits.

Reply to
John Williamson