mixing oil and water paint

There's some crinkled paint in the kitchen and someone said its because someone painted the wrong kind of paint perhaps oil onto water based paint or vice versa...

Is there any truth in this, and which way?

I have some window frames to paint outdoors and there's a mixture of different paints on parts of them, so which kind of paint should I use?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Can happen when the previous coat hasn't fully dried. Oil based can take a good 24 hours in cold conditions.

I use water based acrylic (or "quick drying" as it's now labelled) for everything apart from the final lick of gloss.

Reply to
stuart noble

Do you remember seeing walls with 'spotted' paint on them? Typically bog walls - but also corridors in government office buildings and similar.

I chatted to some decorators who were preparing to apply this finish. They used an air spray kit, lots of masking and a special mix of oil and water based paints - made by Macpherson. (IIRC it was globules of darker colours of oil paint in a lighter base of something like emulsion. Or that is what they said.)

Doesn't answer your question, but you reminded me... :-)

Reply to
Rod

This will happen to acrylic paint applied over knotting. I found this out last week!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I think it is called "Portaflek", and I know it stinks worse than a buzzard's crotch!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

You can buy a crackle finish to paint on if thats what you want. Otherwise its going to be an uncontrolled experiment.

Timber frames require a flexible paint, so oil based is usually used.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Acrylics are usually more flexible, but with flexibility comes lack of abrasion resistance, which is why they're not generally used for the topcoat.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks - you are certainly right - that was one brand. Which let me look it up just now - and saw Crown Colorfects Aquaflek and Aquatone - which seem to be water-based, modern versions. Maybe it stinks a bit less - more like a bluetit's jockstrap?

Reply to
Rod