Mixer taps

Hi, I've just fitted some second hand edwardian-type taps to a bath. The taps look about 5 years old. The problem is that the hot water flow is useless around 1 litr/min. If I take the washer out there's a reasonably powerful very thin (3mm) jet which sprays as far as the other end of the bath.Looking at the underside of the taps (when unscrewed from the pillars) there's a black grommet type thing there with a hole ab out 3mm wide. Looking at other taps of this type the hole is bigger and it's just metal there no rubber. I've bought some new ones since and they work fine but I'm still baffled by these older taps. The system is gravity fed could these taps be for MHW pressure systems only?

Thanks to any replies

Jon

Reply to
jsee