Mixer tap (kitchen sink): spout getting 'heavy' to swivel

My nearly new kitchen (almost brand new house) is fitted with a white mixer tap on the sink. It has a central swan neck-type spout with hot and cold taps either side of the body (180 degrees opposite each other).

Over the last few days I have noticed that the spout is increasingly difficult to swivel. However, it gets easier when I run the hot tap for a minute or two. There is a threaded ferrule (a smooth white ring on the outside, threaded inside where it screws over the boss) holding the spout into the tap body. I unscrewed the ferrule and there appears to be a kind of circlip that actually holds the spout in place. (The ferrule merely covers up the clip.) However, the circlip, while having a small gap in its circumference, is round in section and looks pretty impossible to get out.

Is this in any way serviceable? Could I actually achieve anything by removing the spout and possibly replacing a seal? The 'feel' you get when you turn the spout is of a rubber seal that is 'dry'.

MM

Reply to
MM

You should be able to firkle that type of circlip out with a watchmaker's screwdriver or a small scriber. They are common enough in engines although there's usually a small cutout in the housing where you can get a screwdriver in behind them. A little vaseline on the seal might be all it needs.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

You might even be able to lubricate the seal by dripping some washing-up liquid onto the circlip, and moving the spout to and fro.

Reply to
Set Square

If I do manage to prise the circlip out, will the spout suddenly spring out of the tap body? I don't know what to expect!

MM

Reply to
MM

Yep. I'll give that a go first.

MM

Reply to
MM

With my kitchen tap, similar problem. Alleviated - if not eliminated by: a) removed the 'ferrule' b) removed the 'spout' by pulling up - a REALLY GOOD pull (did not need the removal of circlip) c) cleaned out - including two rubber seals, which were then sprayed with silicon spray (acquired from Screwfix). d) push fit back the 'spout' e) replace the 'ferrule' Net: significant improvement in spout movement - but I have had to repeat the exercise, but this gets easier with more confidence and probably because it is more lubricated on each occasion I choose to pull the spout out.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

When you pulled the spout free, did the circlip stay in its groove or pop out?

When you replaced the spout, did you just shove it back in and did it kind of 'click' into place? What happened with the circlip then?

MM

Reply to
MM