Mixer Tap Help

This will be my first plumbing job so I hope someone can help.

I have just purchased a mono mixer tap for my kitchen and the instructions state that the hot and cold water feeds must be of balanced high pressure. The hot water comes from a Santon Premier Plus unvented water system and the cold from the mains. So is the water supply ok for this tap?

Many thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Unless I'm missing something, this should be fine!

Reply to
OldScrawn

I'm not familiar with your water heating system. does it produce hot water

at mains pressure, or is pressure defined by the height of a header tank? The need for equal (ish) pressure is to make the setting of the hot cold ratio reasonably linear over the mechnical range. If, in your case the hot pressure is lower then most of the adjustment range will give cold/cool water and the last little bit of the range will be hot possibly with low flow. Options are to return it unused, or experiment with the mixer attached to the old taps by lengths of hosepipe or similar and see how it performs and if needed remove it, dry thoroughly,clean,polish and put back in the box and exchange it.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

instructions

Hi Bob

I get the impression from my searching that if the feeds are not of equal pressure, then the higher pressure feed (probably cold) will force its way up the hot pipe when the tap is turned on. Surely there are valves to stop that happening. Can anyone confirm if my Santon unvented hot water system delivers at mains pressure? I have emailed santon but they may be out of the office until the new year and I want to get cracking.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

My mixer mixes at the spout, so this would be impossible on mine.

I thought that they are all like this? - I *thought* it was the law (for taps connected to the mains water)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Chris wrote

Santon PremierPlus cylinders are designed and normally installed to provide HW supply at the taps at mains pressure, similar to the Megaflo range. But it is possible (although unlikely) that your system could have an unvented (pressurised) primary system and low pressure secondary HW supply to taps. This means it is difficult for anyone here to definitely confirm without seeing your installation.

You could do a couple of checks yourself. The easiest way is to turn off the incoming mains water supply stopcock - if this cuts the supply to all taps, both hot and cold, then everywhere is at mains pressure. Alternatively, find the cold water inlet at the bottom of the cylinder - is this 15mm dia pipe? If so it is 99% certain to be at mains pressure - maybe you could trace this pipe back and establish whether it connects directly to the mains system. Finally, if you are absolutely certain you have no cold water storage tanks anywhere then the HW will be at mains pressure.

Hope this is helpful Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Yup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If its unvented that normally means meains pressure.

It its a combi, the answer will be almost certainly a yes,

If there is a [ressure gauge on the boiler, the answer will also be yes.

If you have a hot water tank with a zillion pipes and knobs on, thats a mains pressure one. It won'tme made of copper either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

instructions

Many thanks to all. Wish me luck!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I installed a Bristan tap on my kitchen sink which has a central spout and levers for the hot and cold at the base.

What is interesting about this tap is that it does not actually mix the hot and the cold at all. Rather the spout must have concentric tubes. I have the hot on the outside and the cold on the inside. The hot and cold only mix after they have come out of the tap.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare