Mitre tiles round external corner?

Hi,

Just trying to work out the best way to run round a corner...

One corner is tiled to the ceiling (bath) and may have whole uncut tiles upto the edge.

Tiles unfortunately are only part glazed on the edge or I'd just do a butt join.

The adjoining wall is only tiled half way up (sink) with paint above.

Would a good way to do this be to cut the tiles that must be cut, with a 45 degree bevel so that the tile edge comes level with the face of the tiles on the bath side, then grout in?

I have a wet cutter.

Like:

Bath Whole tile

Reply to
Tim W

Tile trim. Love it or hate it, it's the only way. You don't want cut edges on an external corner. Looks fine as long as you choose the right size for your tile thickness and get a close match on the colour.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 13:55

I was considering that - and ordered some. But it turned out too deep (9mm). That leaves me with getting some 6mm, or trying to be "traditional".

The thing that I couldn't work out with the trim is what to do with the bit where we go from the half tiled to half untiled wall.

The lower bit obviously wants the trim to "hang out" so it aligns with the other tiles round the corner.

The top bit would need the trim to end up aligned with the edge of the plaster.

I was thinking later that that step might look naff too - possibly more naff than finishing the edge with grout?...

If that's confusing, I'll do a diagram...

Reply to
Tim W

Just do a butt job. Although the edges on the ones I did looked unglazed theyre fine wrt water absorption. I guess they must have a tiny bit of matt glaze on them.

NT

Reply to
NT

NT wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 14:51

That's an easy fact to check WRT to mine - ta :)

Reply to
Tim W

Get the 6mm!! Please! Anything else will look naff in the extreme. Also, you need that nice smooth round from a practical point of view, and it

*will* be straight.

No, I know what you mean. I'd just do it in two sections. They won't line up vertically, but you don't "see" the trim in the finished job, it just becomes the edge of the tiles.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I bet they look terrific

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No suitable tile trim? I rather like the polished ally ones. Adds a bit of bling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Use edge beading, use vertical beading (visit Homelux website to see). Use a perpendicular cut, then sand to a 45-degree mitre (few minutes with a Mirka sandpaper).

Mitre-butts aren't ideal, but it can avoid "an explosion of trim" appearance depending on tile colour. Done right a mitre but shows just the finest line of grout and appears to "wrap around" the corner if you set/spaced tiles correctly.

Reply to
js.b1

I did wonder about that beforehand, as it turns out they look at least as good as the plastic trim job they replaced.

NT

Reply to
NT

Just as an aside, I've oft wondered why Homelux trims aren't symmetrical on the bit that shows after tiling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because you are buying edge trims rather than corner trims?

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wibbled on Saturday 26 September 2009 08:46

I didn't see a distinction - ie all Topps had (and they had a lot) were quadrant trim with on "ear".

After buying a length of 6mm "ceramic effect" (which looks quite good, better than the obviously PVC stuff) and a conflab with SWMBO, we've more or less decided to use this trim round corners, but not bother where tiles stop and the wall goes to painted.

The trim solves the problem of one or both tiles having a sharp cut edge round a corner, but providing I can stop on a whole tile in other cases, I think a smear of grout then paint upto that will probably look the bees knees.

I don't see the need to border the whole assembly in trim - but I'm sold on it for corners...

Thanks for all the suggesstions :)

Reply to
Tim W

Let us know if you change your mind :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've only ever seen the one type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stuart Noble wibbled on Saturday 26 September 2009 11:27

Well...

I kinda did the top row already, so I'm committed by default. They look OK to me, especially with the emulsion cut in.

Yes, I'm trying to convince myself....

Reply to
Tim W

At a casual look the tile edges just look like another line of grout. Tiles edges and grout are the same colour in this case. Would be different if you used eg red biscuit white tiles.

NT

Reply to
NT