Misting DG window and drilling glass

Lot of unnecessary work to get instant clarity & justify a fat charge. With a single hole at bottom plus insect screen it'll just dry slowly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Unless the panel is enormous, would it not be easier to replace it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I look forward to hear how you get on with the drilling and if the condensation clears.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Probably, but not so interesting!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Alternatively, holes let it breathe, just like air bricks in a cavity wall ventilate the cavity and under-floor spaces.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

First hole drilled, bottom corner of pane; 3 mm spear-headed TC drill fitted my Dremel 800 nicely. Couple of layers of masking tape to stop drill skidding about when getting started; good flow of water from pump-up garden sprayer set to give a jet rather than a spray; slowest speed on the Dremel; applied gentle but steady pressure; took about fifteen minutes, I suppose. I got wet, Dremel got wet, drill well cooled and lubricated though. No spalling problems on breakthrough. Nice clean, slightly tapered hole.

Shan't use an insect screen over it, as it's only a 3 mm hole, probably narrowing to 2 mm on the inside surface. I'll leave it for a few days to see if the condensation clears. If it doesn't, I'll drill another hole at the top of the pane to get some sort of circulation going.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Physics says its inevitable it'll clear, the question is in what time scale. A 2nd hole will lose you significant insulation. 2mm is more than big enough for insects to get in - you've no way to get them out again.

A little microporous medical plaster tape would do it, some people have that. You can get it in see through.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, you'll find out soon enough if it is, once you start drilling.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Hole big enough for the majority of flying insects and ants and maybe a few of the British spiders which are very active this time of year.

Perhaps tape a bit of glass fibre matting over the hole - the finer grade that looks like tissue paper.

Reply to
alan_m

Rummaging in my bit-box I found a purpose-made fine nylon screen embedded in a rubber grommet. Dunno what it came from, possibly from the inlet of a washing machine, but it makes an ideal screen to keep beasties and rain out of the ventilation hole. Now stuck in place.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , Chris Hogg writes

When I drilled glass bottles to make a lamp I used moist detergent to build a dam around the hole and filled it with oil to cool the glass and the drill tip. I just used a masonry drill though spear headed would be better.

Reply to
bert

/ snipped-for-privacy@care2.com

If you drill, put the hole at the bottom on the outside. Anything else will add to your troubles. Drilling throught the seal should work iff the airpath then leads to outside - if to inside it'll mist.

Once unmisted I'd plug the hole with sand & epoxy to stop insects getting in. Or right away if you don't mind demisting being very slow/q

Have you actually done this?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Its just basic physics

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/Its just basic physics/q

Mmm I thought not.

Why has the dg unit misted up in the first place?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 9:44:03 AM UTC+1, JimK wrote: meow:

st BR. They still insulate well, but not quite as well.

ill add to your troubles. Drilling throught the seal should work iff the ai rpath then leads to outside - if to inside it'll mist.

g in. Or right away if you don't mind demisting being very slow.

Either the seal has failed and it vents to the interior, or water is gettin g in. The former is fixed by drilling, the latter I'm not so sure. When the seal fails and its vented to the exterior it doesnt normally mist, as one of mine has been demonstrating for a decade or 2. I don't expect you're fam iliar with the physics that explains that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/ Either the seal has failed and it vents to the interior, or water is gettin g in. The former is fixed by drilling, the latter I'm not so sure. When the seal fails and its vented to the exterior it doesnt normally mist, as one of mine has been demonstrating for a decade or 2. I don't expect you're fam iliar with the physics that explains that.

NT /q

So you have done what you advocate then? Or not?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

ting in. The former is fixed by drilling, the latter I'm not so sure. When the seal fails and its vented to the exterior it doesnt normally mist, as o ne of mine has been demonstrating for a decade or 2. I don't expect you're familiar with the physics that explains that.

what i said. I knew you'd get childish. bye

Reply to
meow2222

/> So you have done what you advocate then? Or not?

what i said. I knew you'd get childish. bye /q

But you never said.... I wonder why?

As for childish - pffft!

Jim K

Reply to