Missing channels

I have a hotlink to this site

including my postcode

so it tells me as a 'professional aerial installer' what is going on.:-)

on the "I am in the aerial installation trade " to get a proper run down of your local transmitters.

The bookmark your postcode specific limnk.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right! Done that. Now what does it all mean?

Crystal Palace has 52 relay transmitters!

Currently my PVR is showing 3 duplicate channels and no apparent way to select the correct one:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yeah, I already noted from the page John Rumm pointed me at.

For which I owe him another thanks.

Reply to
Huge

Yes a large area in all.

Some substantial, and others mere local "tiddlers".

Some like Hemel Hempstead are almost main stations in their own right with a power of 10 kW others like the one the BBC have at White city, just a few watts, hardly enough to light a torch bulb!..

Welcome to the wonderful world of "not planned as well as it might be" Digital TV;(...

You can, as Bill Wright will tell you, put an attenuator in line with the digibox and that will restrict it "seeing" the weaker ones, then once re tuned take it off again..

Reply to
tony sayer

but enough to cover two roads ;-)

Reply to
charles

In article , charles scribeth thus

Yes I venture to suggest to my knowledgeable friend that you could see a torch across Two roads;)...

Well sort of .. if the Suns not that bright which it won't be at the moment;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Another crude solution if you know what range of channels you should be receiving, is to pull the aerial connection out of the box when its scanning areas you are not interested in...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah! There's the rub! I don't actually know what range I should be receiving.

CP is 23-30 if I'm reading this correctly. The aerial certainly points towards London but the nearest relay at Welwyn is only 4 miles or so and Sandy lines up nicely with the back end.

As it is still piddling with rain I may well go and try a re-tune.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Still got a couple of ITVs but managed to lose them from my favourites.

Ta.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

at oner time i kept em in case the main signals got swamped with over te horizon crud from holland

when over the horizon from sandy heath was better..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In terms of which frequencies are used by which Tx, this is quite handy:

sure how up to date that is, since the ERPs look low for some that have completed DSO part 2)

Yup CP remains in group A post DSO.

Relays don't always carry all six muxes - some only do the three PSB ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

Right - new telly says plenty of signal strength (even tho the sparks gizmo says, today [1], 50dB rather than 70) but signal *quality* is crap and I'm getting BER of 10E-4 or 10E-5.

[1] Well it's effing windy so perhaps the aerial's being forced out of line.
Reply to
Tim Streater

I know others will not agree but I have been on digital ( we are Cornwall so the first to be changed) for a long while now but since the switch we have had signal problems all the time. They remain unresolved and no one can say ( or is willing to say) what the real problem is.

I also live in sight of the transmitter. In fact I live in kicking distance of one but cannot get signals from it at all. Instead the system insists I have to receive my signal from the other transmitter ( about 3 miles way - and still in sight as its high up) .

I doubt the techies can give you an answer. I changed from a roof areal to an indoor one just so that I can constantly swing it around according to atmospherics so I can get a signal.

Some more cynical folk just tell us that we live in a digital black hole ...... you may find the same. In short , digital TV was a mistake.

Good luck

Reply to
sweetheart

According to the bloke who installed a digital aerial for me, a signal that's too strong can be as bad as one that isn't strong enough, he fits some inline thing (attenuator??? not sure what it is) in the aerial output if this is the case. It cuts the signal down, whatever it's called.

Also according to him , before the switchover the digital signal in my area wasn't at full whack, and would be "turned up" after switchover. I don't know if that's true, but since we were switched, I've had a near-perfect signal strength. It's possible that people who got a decent reception before, are now receiving too strong a signal.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

almost certainly total overload.

try with a coat hanger instead of a proper antenna.

PS for about 35 quid you can get DVB tuners that plug into your PC. They can also sometimes tell you a lot about signal quality and strength.

Very useful for on site tests with a laptop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've had intermittently poor reception at first due to over the horizon interference: now we are on better signal strength most Muxes are rock solid - switchover completes this year I thunk.

But its always been better than channel 4 analogue was - that was marginal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep that loose signal just floats away :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Who have you asked?

Have they actually made measurements on your installation using proper test equipment?

That is not uncommon. Most transmitters are tall, and radiate a diverging beam directed out to the sides (no point in wasting energy beaming signals into space etc). However it does mean that very close to the base of a tower, you can in effect not be illuminated by it at all - rather like it can be dark right beside a torch.

I expect the techies can give you a very good answer, if on site with the right kit. Alas its not so easy from here. Also note that many of the less technically skilled aerial riggers out there, fall into the "suck it and see" school of analysis.

Ultimately there will be a few of these (as there were for analogue TV)

- but the reverse problem of access to signals from too many transmitters will be a much more widespread problem.

For who?

What kind of digital TV? Terrestrial, Satellite, Internet, DVD etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not quite so John whilst its true you do not want to be sending programmes to ET there exists phasing arrangements in the aerial stack to radiate an amount of power downwards in order cope with nearby viewers but that doesn't go that far before they are well sometimes as alluded to too well served and overload is the case and that can cause problems as the tuner in the TV will "see spurious signals up and down the frequency scale ....

Sure thats a TV transmitter and not some other mast. Could you tell us where you are and where these stations are then we can get some sensible answers;)..

Thats not a very sensible way to go about this. You are much better off with a decent outdoor aerial or a loft one and then you attenuate the signal to the right range and all is 99.9999% of the time well;)..

That they do its often said that an aerial rigger is an out of work window cleaner with a ladder;(...

For most all of the UK it wasn't;!..

'Tho parts of it went that organised too well....

Reply to
tony sayer

What system?..

As said in another post tell us where you are and where the transmitter is and we can make some sense of this...

Reply to
tony sayer