mispronounced DIY terminology

Correct spelling.

Reply to
<me9

Just recalled. She also used to differentiate between natural timber & chipboard by calling the former 'tree wood'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me too. Noggin is actually a small quantity of spirits but if you pick up words from conversation rather than a dictionary final 'g's or indeed initial 'h's are often silent.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

According to Collins Dictionary cill is a variant spelling used by the construction industry.

'x off' was traditional engineering practice (or should that be practise?) when I was a student apprentice back in the early 60s. I am sure there would have been a very good reason for it but all I can think of now is to avoid confusion say between twenty to and twenty two.

It wasn't here. :-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Ian Jackson

My family moved to a new-built estate when I was a 3. An for the next few years there was a lot of DIY all around as proper fences and sheds were put up, garden paths set out etc. As I was learning to read I was always puzzled by the sign of the local builders' merchant's lorry "Wood for Timber". What was the difference? Why would they offer a swap? It was only years latter, passing that merchnts yard every day on the way to work, that I worked it out: name of company George Wood and Sons.

Reply to
djc

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

(I have just about got used to calling spanners wrenches and torches flashlights though ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Interesting. I didn't know that.

When I was young, my grandmother *always* called it 'soddering'. (she didn't do any, just saw me doing it).

She was married to an expat Canadian; I wonder now if that's how she picked it up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's a new one on me.

A batten (roof in this context) and a baton (conducting an orchestra) are not (at least to me) synonyms.

Oh and... Sir Form was what my grandfather said. And I think he was older than the tool. And cill, not sill.

Yanks? Well, cart for trolley. (Trolley means tram). And bathroom. And don't ever ask for a rubber when you want to remove pencil marks...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Nor or they homonyms.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Someone once explained to me that it derives from manufacturing something from a specification or drawing - "2 off (that drawing/ specification)".

But I've never been convinced. To me, it makes sense to ask for "2 of those widgets" or even "widgets, 2 of".

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

I assumed it was like "2 off the production line". We have the verb "to pri= nt off" which could be similar. Also, gleaned from a web search, we have th= e expression "one-off" to mean something unique. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Ahh, and 'niche' (just saw it typed in a post in another thread). I've only ever heard it as 'neesh' in England, but it always seems to be 'nitch' in the US. It's not really a diy term, but it still grates whenever I hear it that way :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

As far as I'm concerned, "nitch" is a perfectly good English word (possibly regional dialect) meaning essentially the same as "niche". However, Google hits are few, and mainly refer to as being a mispronunciation/misspelling of "niche". I think that this is one for alt.english.usage and alt.usage.english!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

router (rowter) for wood working

router (rooter) for internet connection??

Reply to
John Bryan

I'm afraid there's a tendency to say rowter [1] for internet connections to. Just as they say rowt instead of route.

[1] rowt etc to rhyme with row as in the neighbours are rowing again.
Reply to
Tim Streater

I've always thought of it in those terms, too - that or "2 off the inventory".

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I am so glad Cpt Picard was played by a British actor so we heard of Dayter plotting roots instead of Datta plotting rowts.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

At primary school occasionally we had to go outside for something called a 'fire drill'.

I remember thinking 'Are they drilling holes somewhere to look for fire? Why can't I hear the noise of men working on that?'. Why are we outside? Is it dangerous to be inside while they are drilling?'

Reply to
Adrian C