Mirrored wardrobes

I'm planning to build mirrored wardrobes at the end of this month! So i just wondered if anyone had any pointers or tips on succesfully completing this assignment, (set by the wife! :0))

Maybe someone has a link to a site giving a step by step guide?

All help welcome!

Reply to
JPM

Didn't build my own, but I've got some mirrored doors on some now rather elderly Schreiber wardrobes in one of the bedrooms - dismantled and re-assembled them when we moved. Thing to remember is the doors are bl**dy heavy, with the weight of the backboard and the mirror!

Reply to
Wanderer

No link available, but I recently fitted one - I used Stanley sliding wardrobe doors (mirrored and solid) as supplied by Focus, B&Q etc. They have a leaflet instore which explains how they work, and they come with full instructions - pretty straightforward.

David

Reply to
Lobster

So are you saying it's a 2 man job? or is it just awkward?

Reply to
JPM

Cheers for that i'll take a pop up to B&Q and see if i can find the leaflet!

Reply to
JPM

Wickes had a leaflet that was pretty good. We fitted some in my parents house. Not too difficult at all.

In fact, the hardest bit was getting wickes to deliver some that were not broken. It too them 5 lorries to get 4 doors delivered....

They are heavy and *don't* twist them. This is what had happened to the ones in the store apparantly - the frame is not really strong enough to resist twisting.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I'd say definitely a two-man job when it comes to offering the doors into place on the carcase, unless you're going for sliding type. If it is hinged type doors, just be certain that the hinges (and the carcase) are man enough for the job. If you're using 'normal' faced chipboard for the carcase, there's always the possibility I guess that the hinge screws could eventually work loose and pull adrift. Having said all of that, you may not get any problems, just something to bear in mind, that's all.

Reply to
Wanderer

Even sliding type. To insert these you normally need to tilt the top of the door inwards at say 30deg, whilst holding the door up. This is extremely hard on the back with a 36" door. Two people makes the job a lot easier.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol