Mira Excel B

I have a Mira Excel B type shower control and the flow control ring is getting quite stiff to operate. The temperature control is fine. Is there any way of easing the friction on the flow control ring? I have tried loosening the central screw that holds the outer temperature controller and this may have eased it all a bit, but I don't like to do this too much for fear of upsetting the whole mechanism.

Any advice and help welcomed.

TIA John

Reply to
John Edgar

It might be worth a call to Mira - their customer service is second to none. At the very least they'll be able to give some advice, but they may even send out a replacement part if it's a known/common issue.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I.e. it is a shade worse than nothing at all?

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm... Good point. Must use that phrase more carefully in future! :-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks for all advice. According to Mira we need a new "cassette" in the shower at a cost of some =A3130, plus fitting. I suppose on an 8 year old shower that is not too bad. The other shower, which is exactly the same, but does not get used 1/2 as much is fine. Interesting.

John

Reply to
John Edgar

I find that interesting John, as I have exactly the same problem. I am thinking of replacing it with one that has a knob with a better grip. The trouble is I anticipate it to be quite a job to replace the shower, wish they all were all standard to fit.

Reply to
Broadback

The message from John Edgar contains these words:

Why not fit it yourself?

Try the Shower Doctor (showerdoc.co.uk) for spare parts. You may find you only need a particular component or an overhaul kit. (Whether they do an overhaul kit for this shower is something you will need to check).

Reply to
Roger

My wife would also like a knob with a better grip, but to get back to shower talk . . . . Seriously she would like the Mira design replaced with the kind that has a lever for flow control. I don't know whether this is possible without major plumbing but will start on the research. A gentleman below has suggested a website which I am going to check out.

John

Reply to
John Edgar