Mira 88 Shower Question(s)

Hi, I have a fully tiled bathroom with a Mira 88 shower unit (tiled over) which came when I bought the house. I have recently changed from an ordinary boiler to a combi. My plumber has asked I buy the exact shower to replace the old one but when I check on google, it seems Mira has a 'combi friendly' shower unit (Mira 415). The water pressure in the house is quite good. How it be difficult for the plumber to change it? How much would it cost to change (roughly) please?

Thanks,

TH

Reply to
Tyler

Why do you want to replace it with the same thing?

parts are readily available for these, so if it needs mending you can:

Mira has a 'combi friendly' shower unit (Mira 415). The water pressure

The 88 is a straight forward non thermostatic mixer. In spite of claims to the contrary, I can confirm it does work on a combi, although you may find the temperature adjustment becomes rather sensitive, and it may also squeal at lower flow rates. (the latter can be helped by fitting a shower head with a flow restriction disc in it). You are however vulnerable to temperature changes when other water demands (hot or cold) are made in the house.

The 415 is a pressure balanced non thermostatic shower, which will maintain constant temperature by virtue of balancing out any pressure changes. Note however this does assume that hot water temperature stays roughly constant. Modern modulating combis usually do this well at low and medium flow rates - which are usually enough to feed a shower (especially on the more powerful boilers - say 30kW and up), however you may still find that other demands for hot water in the house will exceed the ability of the boiler to maintain the pre-set hot water temperature

- at which point the shower will run colder.

You can download the install manuals from the Mira web site:

The 88:

415:
pipe fixing centres are different, so changing the valve from one type to the other would require excavating the wall to expose the valve and enough pipework to allow connections to be repositioned. It would then need making good and re-tiling etc. Can't see that costing less than £200 not including the cost of the shower.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Excellent - thanks for your answers and I will decide what to do soon. Thanks again!

Reply to
Tyler