Mira 415 shower mixer unit or any Mira shower mixer unit

Mines gone all leaky after many years use. Anyone got one not being used and going for a song? MBS
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:33:45 -0000, "Mr Blue Skye" <apbz91@ dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

No, but have you thought of calling the manufacturer? I always have found them very good. IIRC, this model is of a type before cartridges with most of the parts were used. If this is a model with the individual parts, then yiu probably only need a few O-rings and they are fairly inexpensive anyway. It's probably a better solution than taking them from another used valve, even if you can get one.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I've twice obtained service packs for my old Mira 88 from the manufacturer (both times due to slight leaks). They also once sent me a new handset holder for free. Cost of a service pack & new knob was less than 20. Customer support is 01242 262888 (Caradon Mira Ltd) or you may be able to order online: http://www.mirashowers.com /
Terry D.

Now that is very useful! I've got the exact same model in my flat, with a leak that is progressively getting worse.
How hard is it to change the seals in this type of mixer? I haven't done any plumbing before, and am concerned with getting myself into a situation of having no shower and no water, but at the same time am prepared to give it a go if it's do-able!
--
Dane Koekoek
snipped-for-privacy@koekoek.co.uk
Dane Koekoek wrote:

My mum got the Mira service pack from the local indie plumber's merchant. She's about to embark on this task, so if she can do it I'm sure anyone can.
Her biggest problem is that the gate valve on the cold supply is jammed open :(

Well I might give it a go then!!!

Thankfully, all my stopcocks work well...
--
Dane Koekoek
snipped-for-privacy@koekoek.co.uk
Dane Koekoek wrote:

No real problems in installing the service kit, just follow the instructions and make sure to use the silicone grease. BTW, the full service kit should include pistons, O-ring seals and a new control knob. It gives the shower a new lease of life. Mine was installed by myself and is now over 20 years old and still works fine. Whilst you mum has the cold water turned off, why not fit a new gate valve to the shower? In order to prevent gate valves seizing in future, open fully then close by half a turn.
Terry D.

I've got this now, so it'll be a nice job for my next day off!!!

Terry, not my mum... R W's....
Dane