Minimum height of cable supported by catenenary wire ???

I have a greenhouse less than 3m away from the house wall with only pedestrian access underneath.

Any idea if there is a minimum height for cable supported by catenenary wire. It looks like 3.5m, in postions inaccessible to vehicular traffic.

Checking up with the regs, it gives the impression that I could run a cable without any support as long as the span is less than 3m

If thats the case, whats the best support for each end of the cable ???

Reply to
iamwhatiam

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:53:23 GMT, iamwhatiam mused:

All looks the case to me. Personally, I'd use a catenary as it makes it eeasier for attaching to walls as you can just use some decent substantial hooks of any variety.

Reply to
Lurch

Personally, I'd run it lower, through a plastic (Even earthed metal) tube or duct. It'd then be self supporting and less vunerable to damage.

If you grow a nice vine along it you won't even see it.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

I do not understand this answer. If it is run lower in any form, it will be at greater risk of being vandalised or accidentally bumped in to. I would use a supporting wire with eyehook fixings at the height specified by regulation.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

On or around Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:39:57 +0000, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- mused:

You really do talk some crap at times. If BS7671 says minimum height of 3m then it should go at or above 3m high.

Reply to
Lurch

Whilst not disagreeing with the "talking crap" bit, it should be pointed out that BS 7671 does not give any heights. Those are in the OSG (Table 4B) and they are therefore only advisory. You would need to present a very well reasoned case though for deviating from from accepted good practice - "I couldn't be bothered to put it up any higher" shouldn't wash with a competent inspector.

And it's 3.5 m, by the way (with no vehicular access) unless the cable is in heavy gauge steel conduit with no joints along the span, in which case 3.0 m applies.

Reply to
Andy Wade