Minimum door height

Is there any standard for the minimum door height ?

Building regs K1 require a minimum height of 2m for stairs and landings but I can't find anything for doors.

I'm having to replace several rotten wooden lintels above quite low (about 5

1/2 feet) door frames (actually the door frame formed part of the lintel) so have to meet regulations but can't find anything on how high I have to install the new lintel.

Or can I just put it at the existing height and require everybody to duck as they enter rooms :-) ?

Reply to
G&M

I think new interior doors are all around the 1,981 mm (6ft 6inches) in height by 686 mm (2ft 3inches) in width, and exterior doors give a bit of a wider opening at around the 850 mm (2ft 9inches) in width. These are about the standard sizes today.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sir

I had a bit of a ding-dong with an architect who designed a door too low to walk through, he insisted it passed building regs as there is no minimum door height in the regs. However being the prod owenr of an old house with low doors, I recommend that you keep then as tall as possible, my head still gets wacked when I mis juege in the middle of the night ......

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

There is plenty of information on here about putting new lintles in a wall. All you have to worry about is the clearance inside. Are the ceilings low? Why was the original doorway low in the first place?

If you do go the whole hog and put them in for a full size frame or one as high as possible, you might want to consider moving the whole entrance if there is a more suitable spot for it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

That's not a problem. Apart from the BCO insisting on lintel calculations.

What clearance do you mean ?

A bit. Not sillily so like some old cottages though.

Because the previous idiot owner was trying to give it that old cottage feel I think.

Reply to
G&M
2.m 30..high 900. Wide
Reply to
garyhearne5

...is probably the wrong answer!

Minimum door height for what anyway?

A standard UK internal door is usually 1981mm tall and 762mm wide (or about 2'6" x 6'6").

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Rumm writes

Ours are 2042 x 720 approx. "metric" size according to the builder in

1979, Well there was a transport strike on at the time. Bastard size if ever there was one.
Reply to
bert

I thought six-six by two-six was so embedded into British house building to be effectively a standard.

Reply to
jgh

What standard? I think all the doors in my house are a different size. Just checked some: 5'11"x2'6", 5'11"x2'0", 4'9"x3'6" (duck!), 6'3"x2'3",

6'6"x2'5", 6'1"x2'9".

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

2040 x 726 is a fairly easy size to get hold of...
Reply to
John Rumm

The six-six by two-six standard.

Reply to
jgh

Two foot six seems a little narrow for wheelchairs - aren't there accessibility requirements on new houses these days?

Reply to
mechanic

A quick look in B&Q and out of all the range only two styles are that size - pre-painted and soft pine.

Reply to
bert

I have ordered some from here in the past:

They seem to have a pretty wide range of size options.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for that I'll bear it in mind - seems a very slow web site though.

Reply to
bert

Watch out for a detached retina in later life :-(

Robert

Reply to
rmlaws54

I pass this place quite often the Door shop.

as you can se from teh picture it's small.

whisky-dave