Minimum diameter for cooker extractor pipe

Hi,

I am going to be hiring a core drill, 6 inch diameter to "pop" a ventilator through a wall. While I am hiring the baby my thoughts turn to "popping" a vent above the cooker extractor that currently blows back into the kitchen and gives me a cold breeze down my neck.

So, what's the minimum diameter whole I need for the cooker hood vent? I want to keep the hole as small as possible (2-inch?) since the rash of holes in the wall due to installation of combination boiler flues make me worry for the wall's structural integrity.

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

50mm (2 inch) nothing like big enough. 150mm (6") would be more like it.
Reply to
BillR

BillR scribbled :

My Neff extractor had a 5" (125mm) outlet on top to which I ran 5" flexible ducting to a vent.

Reply to
Gary

Plastic cooker hood venting tube is usually 100mm diameter (a rectangular section of appropriate dimensions is also available). You'd normally drill a hole of 110mm or 117mm to put the tube through

- 150mm is going to be rather large!

Not forgetting that when you drill a large hole in brickwork I would assume it weakens the structure. How much (or little) of a problem that actually is I wouldn't know - but to be on the safe side I would always plump for the smallest hole possible, especially if it is a load bearing wall.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I would be interested in hearing what the experts think of this as I have just installed a Bosch cooker hood which required a 150mm hole through the outside wall.

Does a 150mm hole really affect the walls structural integrity???

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

Please bear in mind that this isn't something I'm clued up about - I'm just working on the principle that a "whole" wall without a hole in it might be a bit stronger than a "whole" wall with a bit missing :)

I'm interested to know the answer too!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

As most kitchen extractor fans require a 150mm hole (as opposed to toilet fans which are 100mm) I would hope not. About the same as removing a standard brick?

Reply to
BillR

Bill

My concern is not a single hole in a wall, I'm sure the circular profile helps distribute the load around the hole, the concern is when the wall already has 4 x 150 mm core drilled holes within, say, 5 metres of each other

Clive

Reply to
Clive Long,UK

Domus produce a catalogue in .pdf form which you can download from their website (sorry I have mislaid the URL) and which includes a section on how you calculate what you require. I think the manual that comes with a cooker hood tells you the flow rate required and how the internal fan performs against various flow resistances.

Reply to
Brian S Gray