Minimum callout charges

A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts: is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the second visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

David (who's thinking it's high time he decided he was 'competent' at gas work...)

Reply to
Lobster

The latter. Never encountered anything else.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Whatever the fitter can get away with. However, I wouldn't agree to anything other than the second.

Of course, this can be the classic distress purchase and negotiating position is not as strong then.

I'm sure he is....

Reply to
Andy Hall

A callout charge is just that, to cover the initial visit and not subsequent ones.

Reply to
EricP

I agree one callout charge only

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I don't charge a specific callout, simply the 'first half hour' is charged extra to cover travel.

If I have a good idea of what parts are required - and get it wrong I don't charge for going to get them, nor do I charge another 'first half hour'.

If it turns out to be a completely unexpected item that I could not reasonably be expected to have, I only charge for the time taken to go & get it, but not the original 'first half hour'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman