Minecraft again

Ok, wrong place I know, but it has been discussed on here before.... Is Linux on a laptop likely to run Minecraft ok? A mate has offered me one (not sure what model or software version yet) but is it going to be a huge come down for a nine year old who's apparently into some pretty serious programming stuff on his mum's Mac? I suppose the answer I'm looking for is along the lines of "subject to the laptop spec, no reason why Minecraft won't run perfectly well". TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

Is the canine version called Minecruft? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Apparently it's an Intel Atom dual core, 1 gig of RAM, running Zorin, if that makes a difference. Thanks

Reply to
stuart noble

Does [s]he want to simply run minecraft, or does [s]he want to write 'mods' for it. For writing mods (for a 9 year old) you might consider using the cut-down version on the raspberry-pi where you can insert mods as scripts.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It's been a while since we used Minecraft but, IIRC, it was very hungry for memory. 1G may not be enough. I don't know the relative performance of an Atom but it would probably be adequate.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks. We'll have to suck it and see

Reply to
stuart noble

That's right over my head, but probably not his. I think mods are a distinct possibility so the r-pi might be an Xmas job

Reply to
stuart noble

Never tried running Minecraft in Linux, but it really doesn't run very well on an Atom DC under Windows :)

Reply to
Lee

Yup.

We have an old machine here that kiddy guests use (mostly for playing minecraft and stuff like that). Old single core Athlon 64 with 2GB Ram but a more recent (though cheap graphics card).

That runs minecraft fine, my laptop, which is an old core 2 duo, but plenty of Ram runs it okish but I have to turn down the graphics otherwise it is rather laggy at times (there are settings for things like how far away it displays the world, clouds)

You will probably find you need to tweak soem of those things.

Reply to
Chris French

Ah well. It'll all be a good experience for a trainee anorak :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , stuart noble writes

That, I think, is the crux. We bought a pi when they were first released, together with little plastic case. I found spare mouse, keyboard, monitor etc and it sits on son's desk. He he not a dedicated geek, but he does enjoy playing around with it, and, as it sits next to his 'proper' PC, he can easily refer to sites when experimenting, and, hopefully, learning.

Reply to
News

We bought a early Pi for my youngest. Unfortunately he has now lost interest in it. Probably because it was very slow.

Reply to
Mark