Min. radius bend in 22mm pipe

Hi,

Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90 degrees, with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable formers)?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

You'd have to explain this - all the benders I've seen have a fixed former, and that defines the radius.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you need a tighter bend on the pipe than the benders form gives, try using a 90 degree elbow fitting.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sorry my mistake - I'm probably using the wrong terminology.. I meant the bender has adjustable plates to stop the pipe creasing on the inside of the bend - the bender is not here hence I'm not sure what the actual measurement of the bend is.

My reason for asking is I've got a certain space in which the bent pipe has to fit, and it's a bit of a trek to go and get the pipe bender - so if it can't bend tight enough, I'll just use a 90 degree elbow, or two 45s.

So to rephrase - what's the usual radius of bend done on a 22mm pipe bender?

Thanks again!

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

With a standard pipe bender, 4" or 100mm

See here for full details:

John Rumm

Ahh John, thanks :) I now even remember participating in the thread last time that pdf was mentioned. Must do something about my memory (too young to be going senile already).

Thanks again

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

What is wrong with a spring and using your knee ?

If you anneal the copper first it will be easier .... but if you are trying to go tighter than 90 degrees this can cause a lot of resistance

Reply to
Rick Hughes

See

Andrew Gabriel

100mm radius (IIRC this is to the centre line of the pipe but I may be wrong).
Reply to
Ed Sirett

It knackers your knee.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Because you'll have real trouble doing this in the middle of a length of

22mm pipe?

If you don't anneal table x it will crinkle with a spring. Really, it's far better to use a decent bender. They're not *that* expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: ... snipped

Any suggestions for where to buy a "decent" bender and how to recognise whether it's decent or not (features or type?)

Reply to
Dave

I've not been successful with a spring. The pipe snaps and the spring gets trapped. I didn't bother attempting to retrieve it. The bend is a dream in comparison. Nice accurate and smooth bends.

Maybe the springs worked better in the 1970s when the copper was thinner and softer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Dunno - I've got a yonks old Record. You could check out your local PM - can't see them selling rubbish. But I've heard of some mail order cheapies not being up to the job.

I'm not sure any have 'features' others don't. They just need to be well made, as a lot of force is needed to bend 22mm tube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:32:46 +0000, Dave strung together this:

It'll say Hilmor on the side if it's a decent one. Record are good too. Buy anything else and they're just s**te. Expect to pay £45-50 for a Hilmor one from a plumbers merchants.

Reply to
Lurch