Million pound property experiement ( last night)

Did anyone else see this over view show last night?

Am I the only one who felt even more sorry for the property developer ( Nigel) after last nights show?

The two W******* Fairies ( sorry dont know what else to call them, although I think the TV call them "interior designers") were trying to blame him for all their mistakes and say he didn't help and advise them enough. I really felt so sorry for him they way they continued to lay in on him last night! They are so full of themselves and b*llsh*t !

I can remember him telling them , time and time again and they didn't take not ice of him.

Reply to
mich

Yeah, I felt sorry for him aswell. Colin (I think he was the one, the slightly less camp one....) was particularly arrogant towards him. I sincerely hope that the BBC follow up the program by giving Nigel a show (after all he actually knew the business) and not using those two again. I wonder if he is as arrogant in everyday life or is it just towards people he sees as better than him.

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Creative tension and TV drama dearie.

Makes a fun show.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , mich wrote

I didn't see the last program. How much real profit did they make as property developers? Could they have made just as much profit by buying a £100k house two/three years ago, doing no building work, and just waiting for property prices to rise? Did the debits cover both of their incomes from the BBC during the making of the series?

You've also got to remember that they added massive value by 'dressing the house' and it was nothing to do with any the building work. They seem to have been very lucky that builders were able to change their usual schedules to fit in with the filming requirements - I wonder if they would have been so accommodating if the cameras hadn't been there :)

Reply to
Alan

But you must admit that the program made entertaining television - everyone on this newsgroup I'll bet would have watched the show shouting at the screen.

The lads made some crackers of mistakes, but isn't that refreshing in todays telly where all the mistakes end up cut out of the program.

I'd label the lads as "interior designers", as long as you replace the first "t" with an "f"! :-)

Next show: a miner's row of identical cottages with Nigel renovating one, the lads another and Sarah Beeny yet another!

Mungo

P.S. In another thread someone discussed "Property ladder" as of last night. My Sunday Times magazine noted that said program was a repeat - hence the difference in Ms B.

Reply to
Mungo Henning

Just over quarter mil after expenses.

Not mentioned but presumably their fee/wages would have been part of the cost of making the programmes, not doing up the property.

Having the TV cameras there didn't seem to bother the plumbers.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

"Mungo Henning" wrote | P.S. In another thread someone discussed "Property ladder" as of | last night. My Sunday Times magazine noted that said program was a | repeat - hence the difference in Ms B.

It's a *revisit*. The last few minutes of "what he/she has done since then" are new, thus it counts as New Programming and not a repeat, because there are too many repeats on TV.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

mich wrote

what IS this world coming to! :o)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I think Nigel summed it up: They bought 2 million pounds worth (or was it 2.5?) of property and commissioned 700K worth of work. Spent 2 years working on it.

Had they stuck the money in a bog standard interest bearing account - they probably could have made as much in the time. Had they bought a portfolio of property in reasonable nick, maintained it and rented it out for a couple of years before selling it they would have made considerably more in a rising market....

Hence their net added value to the project was nil! Still I suppose you could say it stimulated the local economy of a few places.

They did at least cover the CGT issue - they were exempt as a result of them being a "not for profit business" with the proceeds going to charity. Otherwise they would have only made about 160K.

Reply to
John Rumm

The program should be called "Nigel is right"

They must have got Justin in to argue, and the other guy in to "smooth over", he actually spoke quite a bit of sence last night, but not about houses.

The woman who did the scotish house would not even call them "Interior Designers".

When you work it out, if you did it for a living, 35K each, before NI, Accoutants, Tax, Insurace etc, for that sort of risk, not worth getting out of bed for.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , Peter Johnson wrote

This seems like a bit of creative accounting. This amount is the difference between the buying and renovating costs and the selling price on the last property.

They started with a float of £100K plus around £50K for renovation on their first property which I assume they ploughed all back into the business to ensure that they could purchase more expensive properties. Having ploughed it all back they then seemed to have needed an extra £50k loan throughout the series They stated they were paying interest at commercial rates on all the money borrowed from the BBC.

Subtract this from the profit on the final house and I'm sure that it would have been a lot less than a quarter of a million.

The experiment should have included their expenses. They should have been making a living from their business. The services of two interior designers of their calibre doesn't come cheap :) If it's not included, it's the same creative accounting as used in other programs where they don't include the cost of the designers, Handy Andy and his little helper or the 30 tradesmen that Carol uses in her 'cost £30k but only worth £8k on the house value' program.

If you have ever been to a boot sale while they have been filming one of the 'challenge' programs you will realise that there is some real magic between what actually happens in the field and what appears on the television screen. Everyone else wanders around hours before the contestants and only finds junk - they walk around and suddenly 'valuable' object appear :)

Reply to
Alan

I _really_ like that idea!

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not last nigh - a straight repeat, :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Their gross profit was 399K - the 260K odd was what was left after paying 70K in interest to the Beeb, plus all the legal and professional fees etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope, watched a couple and gave up. I only know what happened after that because of this place :)

I've had the misfortune to see their morning shows.....ick.....the words 'monry' and 'old rope' spring to mind......

Now THAT might be good to watch, particularly if they get that annoying woman from 'a place in the sun' in to do up the 4th. And the changing rooms mob to do the 5th, with Aggie and Kim to clean the 6th :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

That's because the plumbers were hardly ever there...!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Now *that* really would make an interesting exercise! Who would make the most profit, who would sell the quickest, and so on. Who would be the most irritating to watch...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

: The experiment should have included their expenses. They should have : been making a living from their business. The services of two interior : designers of their calibre doesn't come cheap :)

They are crap. Their previous programs were dire. They did nothing innovative, but still managed to make impractical changes to a good few properties. I used to think Linda Barker was the benchmark of awfulness until I saw these two bozos. I wouldn't pay 10p for their services. All they do is shop. Who can't do that?

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

Cool idea :-)

Ever been to the Museum of Welsh life at St. Fagans, Cardiff? (Free entry!)

One of the things they do there is to dismantle important buildings from around the country and re-erect them onsite. They have a whole row of cottages from Merthyr Tydfil... probably iron workers' rather than miners'... and each one is dressed for a different period in its history from something like 1780 to 1980. There are (IIRC) six such cottages.

Right. Who has a contact in the BBC who can arrange for the programme to be made? Who can suggest a suitable part of the country where there may be half a dozen houses in the same street in need of "doing up"?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Burnley, a whole town of 10-15K (each) terraced houses, property prices falling all the time.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper