Milk straining wood

Why would a newly varnished table be stained white when milk has been spilled on it. It is newly varnish using Ronseal water based varnish that is a milky colour in the tin.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

because its water based.?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like the varnish hasn't formed a proper film. This can happen if the wood is too porous, or subsequent coats were applied before the first had fully dried

Reply to
stuart noble

How newly varnished? These water based varnishes take quite a while to become fully water proof, if ever. Eurotrash! I won't use them. Just chucked a tin away. Best to stick to yacht varnish or similar. Once fully dry, you can sand it off and try again. The test is does the tin say 'use white spirit to clean brushes'. If so it's probably OK.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

As we've covered a number of times, varnish isn't an ideal choice for a table top in any case, as it tends to get scratched up quickly, and scratches won't simply polish out as they do with traditional treatments. However, even good wax finishes will change colour a bit where water lies on them, so the moral with either surface is to wipe wet off straight away, and wax/french polish often.

Spamlet

Thanks all for the replies, I'll pass your comments on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Give it a week or so to dry it may go away, doesnt using a water base product just seem a bit wrong to you on a table that will get wet. Oil polyurethane is the product to use

Reply to
ransley

That's what I thought, but I am not the pub manager that knows everything out side his basic training.

Dave

Reply to
Dave