MILA locks

Hi There,

My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front door lock as a precaution.

The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.

I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.

Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?

Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix here:

David

Reply to
Vortex

AFAICS it's a Euro Cylinder lock.

You need only change the cylinder. Some of the sheds do them (beware they come in different lengths, 2 dimensions to measure, see below).

It is retained by a single screw which screws in from the face of the door.

Plenty of suppliers on the internet.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Dead easy to work on, and if you need any non-standard bits you can get them from

(phone order).

Reply to
Grunff

|Hi There, | |My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front |door lock as a precaution. | |The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock. | |I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I |guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith. | |Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)? | |Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix here: | |

Mine are the same and the supplier (Coral) offered me a new barrel from stock, must take them up on it. They said remove one bolt to get it out.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I removed the said screw and indeed the barrel does come loose but won't pull right out, even with the handles removed.

Fading light, hunger and rain dictate I'll have another go tomorrow.

david

Reply to
Vortex

Most of them require the key to be inserted and turned slightly to release them... You shouldn't need to take the handles off!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Fiddle it about with the key in positions various. :-)

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Eurolock barrels are easy to replace. The only gotcha is they come in differing lengths at each end, so you need to measure the 2 lengths either side of the middle bit before setting off. Also there are 2 different ways of describing the lengths, and they use the same phraseology, so again you need to check what youre getting by measuring. Once youve got the right one its a 2 minute job.

A 6 pin antidrill version, =A317 instead of =A36, reduces some house insurance policy premiums, and may be required to comply and thus keep valid some policies.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Eurolock barrels are easy to replace. The only gotcha is they come in differing lengths at each end, so you need to measure the 2 lengths either side of the middle bit before setting off. Also there are 2 different ways of describing the lengths, and they use the same phraseology, so again you need to check what youre getting by measuring. Once youve got the right one its a 2 minute job.

A 6 pin antidrill version, £17 instead of £6, reduces some house insurance policy premiums, and may be required to comply and thus keep valid some policies.

NT

+++++++

Thanks,

Well I extracted the lock and have taken a couple of pix to show the locksmith.

(BTW This JAlbum software I recently discovered is fantastic)

I agree I will get a "premium" antidrill barrel. Am in the process of renewing home insurance with a new company (getting quotes at the minute) as I think I am being shafted by Zurich.

David

Reply to
Vortex

The message from "Vortex" contains these words:

You need to turn the key to about 30 degrees one way or the other to align the operating tab with the slot.

Reply to
Guy King

Why are you using a locksmith when you have clearly managed to get the Euro Cylinder out. Just buy a new one and put it in. Plenty of places online you can get them.

Reply to
Richard Conway

The job is done, locksmith is the only local place with stock AND ability to make extra keys.

I wanted one immediately because daughter lost her key with address information too. I have probably paid a tenner more than I could have done online but hey-ho.......I'm relaxed about it.

vortex2

in article B9WdneSS-MDofO snipped-for-privacy@pins.co.uk, vortex2 at snipped-for-privacy@DELETE.firstsightvision.co.uk wrote on 23/5/06 11:21:

The cylinder you took out was a 40/50 (lengths in mm to the middle of the cylinder form each side), but from the wear/dirt marks, it looks like it was sticking out 5mm or so from the front of the handle, and a bit more on the inside (not so important).

Did the locksmith mention anything about this, and does the new one fit flush to the front of the handle? You could fit a 35/45 cylinder, I would have thought. This reduces the ease of 'snapping' (breaking cylinder with a wrench)- though it can still be done if the handles are smashed/levered off first.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Micklem

in article mbWdncB6IfVRjO7ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@pins.co.uk, vortex2 at snipped-for-privacy@DELETE.firstsightvision.co.uk wrote on 23/5/06 14:48:

Good to hear it, you're much better off with the shorter one.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Micklem

Yes I did get a shorter one on his recommendation....but also because he did not even have a 40/50 in stock!

vortex2