Mike's Jukebox

Hmmm, did kinda walk into that one I guess!

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Have to say I'd never come across the expression before, so I did the google as suggested.... this was the first hit:

like September is finally ending! (or not...).

David

Reply to
Lobster

downloaded and tried it. I seem to remember that the Winamp input plugin(s) that I tried were unreliable. Or perhaps the tagging was weird. Or something, I really don't remember the details, but I do remember that it didn't work out. FLAC was attractive for the reasons you state but it just didn't work out. WMA has the advantage of widespread compatibility (the format I choose has to work with EAC, Media Center, Winamp, iTunes, and whatever I fancy using next), and I gain comfort from the thought that if I change my mind at some time in the future, it would be possible to reverse the files back out from WMA to WAV, and from there to wherever I fancy.

I'd prefer not be in Bill's clutches but WMA does seem to be the best of the available options.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

By a strange coincidence I've just stumbled across the piece of paper with the matrix of tick-boxes that I used to select a file format. FLAC lost out on iTunes support. Also rejected were WAV (no tags) and Apple Lossless (no Winamp support). Those deficiencies might have been overcome by now but having encoded over 500 CDs there's no point in changing format until I have to.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yeah the changing format thing can be pain, I chopped about 400 to MP3, and I now so wich I'd gone with ogg. But when I did mine, Ogg was new and shiny and could have been going nowhere.

Reply to
Mike Hibbert