Miele washing machines

Page 2 of 3

European something. All in the ST.
writes

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3 with those of Fords of the same vintage.
Let alone the desirability...
--
Tony Sayer

writes

You are off mark. They still break down.

Irrelevant! This is intangible.
IMM wrote:

No, he isn't. The point is that if a BMW is more reliable and breaks down less often than a Ford, then it's total cost of ownership will be lower.

And when you factor in how much more pleasant doing 80k miles in my 325 is compared to doing the same in a Focus, it makes even more sense.
--
Grunff

But it still beaks down and there is down time. Two Ford's (spit) will mean no down time.

Still irrelevant to the main point.

<snip>
and of course two lots of Road Fund License, Insurance, two parking spaces, along with two resident's permits (if necessary, and the second permit is often heavily loaded if there isn't a second person in the household to register it against), two lots of natural resources and energy required to make the thing in the first place, two lots of annual servicing bills (and decent independent BMW, Volvo et al services aren't that much more expensive than Fords - if you want to see high service & parts bills try buying one of the higher end Hondas) etc etc.
But then this only applies in the real world...
-- Richard Sampson
writes

They do sell more Ford's than BMW's
writes

Yes, I'm sure they do. Not everyone appreciates quality...
--
Tony Sayer

Image and reality don't always go hand in hand. BMW is a classic case.
writes

Actually I'll ask matey in the breakdown recovery bizz what his practical experiences are...
--
Tony Sayer

There speaks one who's never owned one. Once you have you tend to be hooked.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

The breakdown organisations data says differently.

I've had three 5 Series in the past 10 or so years - an E28, 34 and now an E39. Only one ever broke down, and that was a faulty alternator at about 90,000 miles on the E34. And it only broke down because I kept going until the battery died as I was on my way to work.
My brother still has the E28, and is determined to run it past 250,000 miles.
Sure they all have niggles that can cause problems, but what car hasn't?
--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

I won't disagree. I ran a 316 and a 318i for a total of 14 years. The latter was the most enjoyable car I've owned, but by far the least reliable, and it was serviced on the dot. Weakest point was the hydraulic clutch. Either cylinder would let go with little or no warning. Slave cylinder dumped fluid outside, master dumped it all over the drivers footwell. Average life of a pair was 3-4 years (and they had to be changed as a pair). The radiator gave out with a bang, likewise coolant hoses, alternator mounts, two fuel relays, battery earth mounting point (all around the 100-120K mark). And the clutch was replaced. A Cavalier I owned at the same time let me down once in 7 years when the camshaft snapped. Ran that to nearly 150K miles, on its original clutch.
I couldn't really recommend a 3-series, although to be fair they are now about 3 models further on.
--
John

Yeh, no one in their right mind would be seen dead in a 10 year old BMW.
--
"I have come up with a sure-fire concept for a hit television show,
which would be called `A Live Celebrity Gets Eaten by a Shark'."

Desirability is intangible. BMW fairs in the middle of the tables for reliability, the last one I looked at.
writes

Well I don't have a beeemm but the people I know that do, are very pleased with them.
Anyway I'm quite please with me Vorsprung De Tech...
--
Tony Sayer

Though if they did, they would be on 24/7.
--
"I have come up with a sure-fire concept for a hit television show,
which would be called `A Live Celebrity Gets Eaten by a Shark'."

No.
Just that its more environmentally friendly to buy something that will last rather than summat cheap, that will fill the landfill sooner. Just look at modern day Videos and TV's..
--
Tony Sayer

writes

I had a Phillips washing machine that lasted 18-19 years. "Great quality" I hear you cry. When I replaced it the new machine washed clothes far, far better as technology had moved on. I would have been better off if it packed up after 9 years.