Miele washing machines

Page 1 of 3
I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about Miele. How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts easy to get and reasonably priced? How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

Are you fed up with the down time meaning no clothes washed for a weeks or so? Probably, yes. Then buy two mid priced washing machines and still have change over a Miele. Two Bosches for a Miele and change. If one drops out then one still works and no down time. Two loads at once of different colours. As the load is evened out between the two they should last longer as less wear.
Miele's do go wrong and when they do you are still in the same position as when a cheapy Hotpoint is down too.
Think about it.

have
out
longer
Very good points IMM. A washing machine is a washing machine, and all can break down. A make like Hoover is more easily repaired because the parts are more readily available and cheaper. I would also recommend staying clear of a washer/dryer combination machine because they are notorious for being fault magnets, with almost constant filter cleaning and flushing condenser bottles to stop them over heating and burning out and things, can be a real pain in the proverbial.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

I suggested this approach to a relative with 3 young children, who would think the world had caved in when the washing machine broke down. They put one in the kitchen and one in the garage. They have had two machines for near 20 years now, and never had to go to the laundrette (if you can find one).

So are Hotpoint, who make over 1/2 of washing machines sold in the UK, and Bosch.
According to Which? magazine (August 2002) the most reliable machines were: Miele (92%), Candy (90%), Bosch (89%) and AEG (86%).
Candy are dirt cheap machines with Argos having a deal on one for 189. Another point is always get the basic machine as most people never use the extra functions, which means more money and more to go wrong.
Also go to John Lewis who have rock bottom deals, "never knowingly undersold", and give a TWO year guarantee on all white goods. They are on-line now. Hotpoint give 1 one year parts & labour (2 with John Lewis) and 5 for parts.
If getting a 189 Candy from Argos, they are so cheap it is worth getting the extra guarantee.

I never thought by your posts that you had a house so large that two washing machines wouldn't be a problem. I'd say they'd be a pain for most.
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...
--
Tony Sayer

writes

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man in the Ford riding past.
IMM wrote:

Envy the man in the Ford!! Never!
But there is (I can't believe I'm typing this) some sense in your suggestion about buying two machines - as long as you have the space.
--
Grunff

Course take it to its logical conclusion you'd need a standby generator as well for the odd chance of a power cut.
Never seemed to hurt my mum did it all by hand and her mother before her. And today when anything breaks down the wailing that goes on.
We're turning into a nation of wusses..
--
Tony Sayer

Do you have cuts for a week? Machine breaks down, appointment for the service man, he comes, orders part, fixes it. It under a week you are very lucky.

You can buy a 3kW genny for 200. Have a throwover switch on your CU so that when there is a cut, you plug in the genny and the essential circuits are served.

That would be highly dangerous. There is specific protective switchgear for connecting a generator to replace a house supply.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
In 28 years I am only on my second Indesit. I have just replaced the motor brushes after 14 years. We have two children - both go horse riding and so we have washed all the baby things (20 years ago) and are still doing loads of washing.
I agree with the advice to go for a simple machine. Ensure the feet are really well adjusted. Avoid extended warranties. Avoid washer/ dryer combinations.
If has a serious problem - get rid and buy a new one (after trying some switch cleaner on the programmer)
I think that Which-type results are a bit suspect. People who buy more costly appliances tend to get very defensive about them. A bit like Volvo drivers saying how reliable the cars are - but they forget how much they spend on services (or VW - or others) (or that really expensive Vacuum cleaner that needs you to take out a mortgage)
--

Regards

John

Actually we've got a Volvo 850 estate and its never been a moments trouble. Done 135 K miles and the engine sounds like its just been run in. And it no longer goes to main dealers since they were bought out by another lot. A local mechanic looks after it and its tickety boo. Still got that very solid feel about it too.
Oh, just remembered the vacuum cleaner is a miele too!......
--
Tony Sayer

writes

motor
so
loads
I had one of those for a few days while my car was being repaired after I was shunted. I thought it was dog.
writes

We got one because a mate of mine worked in a vehicle recovery business and I once asked him what was the best motor in which to survive an accident...
The reply was quite simple " The ones in Range rovers, big four traks, big Mercs and Volvo's are the ones that walk away from them, and are in a fit state to call the emergency services for the other's involved"..
Nuff said...
--
Tony Sayer

writes

and
are
some
Volvo
they
See yesterdays Sunday Times. Toyota Avensis and Renault are tops. And you don't have to wear and anorak in them either.
writes

Yes I'll have a look at the motoring section by about Friday I have to make the times stretch all week.
Mind you, I got that info off a man whose spent 40 years scraping wrecks off the road, so what does he know that the times doesn't.
And if you read that bullshit they wrote the other day about digital radio you'll believe anything:-((..
--
Tony Sayer

you
The lastest tests.

What did they say?
writes

Done by whom?..

Usual crap about CD quality...
--
Tony Sayer

Must be good, it's digital, and that's *always* better ;-) Claude Shannon, eat your heart out........