Microwaves.

Page 2 of 2
mich wrote:

The fact that microwaves don't punch through holes smaller than a wavelength
ought to be significant, as someome alse pointed out

the
my
Biggest problem is (potential) microwave leakage. Replaced mine late last year because it was getting old; didn't want to risk slow-frying something vital!

Hi
If it were mine I'd clean the rust out and check it. Give it a gentle thump to make sure theres still good solid metal there. If a hole appears, its bin time. Small holes dont let microwaves out, the door is full of holes, but of course you want to bin it before it becomes undsfe not after, so once it holes, I'd ditch it.
Rust in microwaves is common, and they work fine for many years after rust appears. Could well still have a decade in it.
That's just what I do anyway.
Regards, NT

We had a similar problem with a Sharp microwave after quite a short timeframe - so did my sister (we bought them both at the same time) - it just didn`t vent steam efficiently (at all ?)

We bought a replacement Panasonic, and my missus almost wet herself laughing when I tried to set the time and it refused, the display scrolling "please read the manual" ;-)
We`ve been most impressed with it overall and have been happy to recommend them to others.
mich wrote:

Oh don't worry. It will just fry the pet cats testicles when it sleeps on top.
Leaky radiation etc.

quite
the
heats,
whilst my

Reminded me of the reply when we asked our service manager how to test for microwave leakage "lick your forefinger, run it slowly around the seal with the microwave operating on full power, observe your finger. If it has changed from pink to black and smoking then there's a leak". Oh for the pre-nanny state days when advice like this was the norm and expected to be acted upon. Regards, Richard.
Hi.
I guess microwave technology is not really a DIY subject.
Angela:

myth. They were fine by 1983. If it were 1970s that would be different.

myth. They just changed the rating system.
Dave:

Myth. Microwaves haven't used door seals for over 20 years.
Mich:

me neither. It doesn't make any sense to me to buy something, then throw it away for no senible reason and give away your money again, over and over. People who do that are true suckers.
Andrew Gabriel:

I dont agree, a PAT tester who does that is being careless. If theres rust you need to check its sound and solid, thats all.
Ask an electronics newsgroup about electronics, and a DIY group about DIY.
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

What's the metal bit in the door with the castellated edge for then? Or do you mean the rubber bit..and why do the destructions always tell you to keep the rubber bit clean to "prevent microwave leakage"?
Just askin :-)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

On 14 Nov 2003 15:06:29 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

It is possible, but it would take a heck of a lot of abuse to do that, real violence. And usually the interlock then wouldn't work. But its always possible, true nuff.
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

It's part of the structure or the internal cavity in the door, the castellations seem to be wavelength multiples. I was assuming this was a microwave seal, or at least heavy attenuation.

That's why I asked if you meant the old rubber seal type :)

Sorry, typo, I meant to say plastic bit :), but point taken unless the castellated edge does perform the function of a seal. I don't know whether it does, thats why I'm asking...
snip
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

The microwaves are about 4" long: are you sure theyre multiples of that?

The plastic trim is more cosmetic and for cleanliness and appearance.
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote: Snip

I didn't realise the wavelength was that long, not that I'd bothered to work it out though :)
I've just done some Googling, and it turns out that this design is a "quater wave slot" or "choke" type of door seal. Oh well, at least I learned something anyway :)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Wavelength in metres, is 300 divided by the frequency in MHz so,
300/2450 = 0.122448979 metres, around 122 millimetres!....
--
Tony Sayer

On 14 Nov 2003 15:06:29 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

OK, badly phrased. "What is the seal of the door like?" A bent/dented door or cavity opening face will leak or one with lots of general microwave detritus stuck on it preventing the door from closing fully (but still latching to overcome the interlock(s)).
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Frisket wrote:

Hmm...battery, led and sensitive FET should show up any leakage ;) ( I have a "volt stick" thingy that is really sensitive to MW leakage) Or possibly of those silly "flashing" things that flash when you receive a mobile call? :-)
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

quite
the
heats,
whilst my