microwave, what blows when mag. shorted?

Being in a hurry for some food the other day, as soon as the counter on the microwave reached 1 second, i yanked the door open,

i must have yanked it at an angle, as the kitchen breaker tripped, i reset it, but microwave is dead,

So i've obviously opened the 'short the magnetron' switch before the 'turn it off' door switch, Fuse in the plug is fine, as is the magnetron fuse,

Anyone know if there's another fuse hidden somewhere? or is it more likely to be a mosfet (put in to protect the fuses :) or something.

Reply to
Gazz

You probably triggered a door interlock failure. See the "UK 3-pin mains plug" thread, where I described it in detail.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My old microwave had a fuse inside the casing known as the "repair mans bread and butter".

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The door interlock won't short the magnetron, as a last resort it will crowbar the mains and blow the fuse. Actually a shorted magnetron usually doesn't blow anything, it merely makes the transformer hum a bit louder than usual, it's working close to saturation under normal conditions. Sometimes there is an inline fuse in the HT lead from the tranny, that will blow, but most microwaves don't have one.

I'm not sure what component you are thinking of but I don't think it's a MOSFET. MOV, VDR, PTC, I give up.

Reply to
Graham.