microwave follow up..

After the recent thread on combination cookers our 15 year old Panasonic died. Probably from shame at only ever having the grill used by accident (makes a mess of plastic utensils) and the oven, never.

Power supply OK local fuse OK. Nothing on the display and no functions.

Do I take the back off or is it junk? I have noted previous warnings about high voltage capacitors.

Also..

The replacement which is micro only weighs about 1/3rd. of the original. I was a younger man when I lifted it on top of the fridge! Claims to be an inverter model and has a curious feature as the *fan*?? starts and continues running after the cooked item is removed and the door re-closed.

If this is necessary to cool the electronics they really ought to make it clear because my wife is in the habit of leaving the door open (i.e. fan off) to let the cooking steam disperse.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Our new microwave is more-or-less the same.

Our old one had a massive iron-cored transformer etc, but the new one is lightweight. By 'inverter', I guess they have replaced the HV PSU with some switch-mode thing.

Yes, it too has fan run-on which is a bit irritating.

By biggest grumble is thet it is so light, it slides about on the worktop when you press the buttons. At least the old one stayed solidly put.

Just the way they are these days, it seems.

Also gives a wimpy 'zzz' as it fires up, not a proper 'WHUMP-Wooooo'

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I had to fasten ours down...

Reply to
Huge

In message , Tim Lamb writes

On ours the fan runs whilst operating and then continues running once the program completes. Regardless of door open or closed.

I've always assumed it was to clear steam etc. from the cooker cavity

Reply to
chris French

Ours is built in at outrageous cost cos her indoors wanted a white one. Had to arrange venting. At least it doesn't move when you press the buttons.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Microwaves often have an internal fuse which is prone to random failure, worth checking. You need to use a slow blow replacement as the switch on surge is high.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yes. I envisage some sticky backed foam pads under the feet. Might lose a bit of noise as well.

Oh well. It was not expensive.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Peter Parry writes

OK.

Not sure about the benefits of a workshop microwave. Re-heated coffee?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mirowaves are very fixable, but the HV cap can be lethal if mishandled. Leakage shouldnt be an issue if the magnetron & door aren't disturbed.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hmm.. The internal fuse is OK. Apart from jiggling connectors I have made no progress.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb