Microsoft Word

I did try it, thanks, after the first mention. Not too bad, wouldn't open docs done in W97 and didn't like some of the modern formats for docs or spreadsheets. Up until about 2005, Wordpro would open just about anything. Not always intact, but enough to see the contents. It doesn't do the modern formats.

Reply to
PeterC

I have the new version of Word at work. Once I got used to the new menu layout, it's *way* easier to use than the old version.

Reply to
Huge

If you use Word at work, you can get it for very little money for use at home. I think my copy cost me about £10.

Huge

There are a couple of companies offering a replacement for the Ribbon menus in Word. This one offers a free licence for private use.

The other is called Classic Menus and costs around £20.

GB

+1
Reply to
Richard

Why would I want to spent £20 making Word shit again?

Reply to
Huge

PDAs used in warehouses seem locked into Windows. I know they get the extortion back from tax or whatever but the loading times on the apps is ridiculous. I haven't seen any with Linux on so I can't say things are better in open source.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

But Opera is targeting the US with its NSA friendly Android app:

"We only provide savings for HTTP non-encrypted data usage. Opera Max will not save you data on applications that use HTTPS encrypted or other protoco ls, like User Datagram Protocol. In normal English this means that you won ?t save data on encrypted apps."

And that's just for starters.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Haven't you already got the version you are thinking of updating? Or is this a troll?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you use Word at work, you ****May be able to **** get it for very little money for use at home.

This depends entirely on the number of licences your employer has and the support contract they have with MS.

My employer used to offer this but as a result of cost savings the MS support contract was downgraded and the employer pulled out of the Home Use Programme. As a result of this anyone who had bought under the HUP received an e mail highlighting one of the T&Cs they had signed up to vis "The licence was only valid whilst you remained with the employer and the employer remained in the HUP". As a result all HUP purchased software should have been removed from home computers.

Reply to
news

I store my Office Libre stuff as Win 97 ... or is it Word 97? Annoyingly I have to remember to do so repeatedly if I alter it.

I used to have to write it like that to get Windows machines to open it. Ot herwise it had to go as a text file. It ended up opening as one big paragra phless lump with Microsoft Office but Office Libre and Open Office always b ehave impeccably doing the return favour.

How much space would the NSA need to house the internet? I bet they could cut it by a tenth with little trouble and compress that to another tenth. So how much stuff would they need just for housing files?

The other question is that is there such a thing as unbreakable code. Crypt ocommnicon discussed once only pads and the kind for throwaway use in WW2. With transworld travel so easily available keeping things secret is much le ss of an hassle than it would have been back then.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Mine too - all in locations whch I control - not on any 'cloud'!

Indeed. But how many people understand that? It's far too easy - particularly with Apple devices (which I don't use) to keep all your i(You name it)s synchronised via a 'cloud' which then contains all manner of stuff which no thinking person would wish to share with the world.

Reply to
Roger Mills

-1

Reply to