Microsoft Word

I see Microsoft are wanting 110 for a copy of Word 2013. I want to update my Word 2003 - but not at that price. Can you still get the versions between 2003 and 2013 ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Not legit, no. Each version is withdrawn from retail when the new one comes out.

Have you looked at LibreOffice?

Reply to
Adrian

Definitely better. It reads some word documents better than old versions of word do, for sure

Version 4 is a lot better than 3 was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The beauty of Linux is you're not held to ransom by giant corporations. Tons of free applications you just download for nothing in LinuxWorld.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Try Open Office, it's free and will save documents in Word format.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

LibreOffice is OpenOffice. Or, rather, it was, before the Oracle and Sun merger took OpenOffice in some unpopular directions.

Oh, that's interesting - I'd missed that Oracle had handed OpenOffice over to Apache.

libreoffice-41-224280 gives an interesting overview. The conclusions comment on document conversion from Word - but, as somebody already mentioned, even converting between Word versions can be far flakier than going to either of this pair...

Reply to
Adrian

LibreOffice and OpenOffice are both available for Windows and OSX, too...

Reply to
Adrian

Not from MS no. Best option would be a family pack of office 2010 from ebay.

The MS offering they would like you to go for is Office 365, which will cost you around £65/year as a rental deal. However you are allowed to install 5 seats for that and get some other freebies thrown in like 25 gig of cloud storage.

Note that all the Office 2013 products also require a MS account of some form to install them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Buy office home and student, it includes word and is about £90.

Use one of the free offices.

Reply to
dennis

I still use 2003. Out of interest, why do you want to 'upgrade'?

Reply to
GB

libre office is better.

And its nothing to do with Oracle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

probably so he can read the files generated by other later copies of 'word'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, it's good, does doc and docx Almost identically laid out so easy to get the hang of if you're used to Word. A few less of the less used features 0f Word.

Reply to
harryagain

My version of word can do that. Microsoft supply a free converter that integrates into the 2003 version. It is seamless.

Reply to
GB

v4.2 is due in the next month or two, but wait for 4.2.x as that usually addresses the odd little problems found after release.

Reply to
PeterC

Though Word 2013 is pretty nifty at converting PDFs into Word documents.

Reply to
polygonum

"Find someone" who is a student, or teacher and buy Office 365 from somewhere like here for £53:

Davidm

I have the new version of Word at work.Do not go near it. The menus are not in a standard format, you will no longer know where anything is. My old 20

03 documents are a bit garbled by the new Word. Download one of the free ones, or stay with what you have got.
Reply to
misterroy

Or alternatively try your local car boot sale. I'm still running word

97, it is better for drawings than later versions IMO.
Reply to
Capitol

Only because other people I exchange documents with tend to use later versions that my 2003 one can't read.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins