Micro CHP

Looks at my 40 year old meter.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It may look 40yrs old but lecky meters are supposed to be replaced every 10 years by your local supplier as a matter of routine...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All the ones I know of are much older than that, mostly very much so. My parents' one is nearly 50 years old, although it had a new glass fitted about 35 years ago when the ironing board fell out of the cupboard landing on my dad, and he kicked it back in again anger.

I was involved in a remote meter reading project in the early 1990's. At that time, the meters were spec'ed with a 40 year life expectancy and a 10 year replacement guarantee. The 40 year life expectancy ruled out the use of LCD and LED displays, and anything but the most basic semiconductor components (certainly nothing microcontroller based). Things seem to have changed since then though -- I don't think anyone in the industry thinks anything like 40 years ahead anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Routine (disk-type) meter replacement has just happened here. The 'new' meter was older than the one taken out.

Apparently the electricity boards are required to check the calibration at defined intervals, (10? years), which they do by cycling meters out of service, re-calibrating, and putting them back into service.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Mine (C 1976) was replaced a few years ago with one dated 1954. An old one recalibrated?

Reply to
B Thumbs

They`re replaced on a time interval that is subject to several variants, depending on the type of supply, but I think 12-20 years is the norm.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yeah- I thought that after posting. But somebody said these things are used on yachts so it must be possible to get them going without mains.

Reply to
Mike

the website of a guy that has one in a cottage, though the details are no longer there he still has a couple of pictures. He has a 24V whispergen which charges batteries and then runs an inverter.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I can state with certainty that it's not been replaced for 20 years. Maybe it's different in scotland?

Reply to
Ian Stirling